From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130820)
(CSV import - 20130823)
Line 1: Line 1:
[[File:AMC_X-31-1_17_49.jpg|300px|thumb|right|''Sunnyslope Mennonite Church, 1948  
+
[[File:AMC_X-31-1_17_49.jpg|300px|thumb|right|''Sunnyslope Mennonite Church, 1948
  
Scan courtesy [http://www.mcusa-archives.org/Archives/GuideAMC.html Mennonite Church <br/> USA Archives-Goshen] [http://www.mcusa-archives.org/Archives/GuideAMC.html Mennonite Church <br/> USA Archives-Goshen] Mennonite Church  
+
Scan courtesy [http://www.mcusa-archives.org/Archives/GuideAMC.html Mennonite Church
  
USA Archives-Goshen  
+
USA Archives-Goshen]
  
X-31.1, Box 17/49  
+
X-31.1, Box 17/49'']]    Sunnyslope Mennonite Church ([[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church]]), located 10 miles north of Phoenix, [[Arizona (USA)|Arizona]], a member of the [[Southwest Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church)|South Pacific Mennonite Conference]], began on 20 February 1944, when a meeting was called in the home of Harold A. Brooks. In February 1946 an organization was made, with Joe H. Yoder as pastor. He was succeeded in 1948 by Melvin L. Ruth, who was ordained bishop in 1950. The first meetinghouse was built on a donated lot on N. 7th Place in 1946. In 1949 a new church built of pumice block was erected beside it. The older building was then used as a Christian day school and Sunday school. This small group holds a weekly service at a rescue mission in Phoenix. In 1957 the membership was 136, with Melvin L. Ruth as pastor.
 
+
'']]    Sunnyslope Mennonite Church ([[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church]]), located 10 miles north of Phoenix, [[Arizona (USA)|Arizona]], a member of the [[Southwest Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church)|South Pacific Mennonite Conference]], began on 20 February 1944, when a meeting was called in the home of Harold A. Brooks. In February 1946 an organization was made, with Joe H. Yoder as pastor. He was succeeded in 1948 by Melvin L. Ruth, who was ordained bishop in 1950. The first meetinghouse was built on a donated lot on N. 7th Place in 1946. In 1949 a new church built of pumice block was erected beside it. The older building was then used as a Christian day school and Sunday school. This small group holds a weekly service at a rescue mission in Phoenix. In 1957 the membership was 136, with Melvin L. Ruth as pastor.
+
  
 
In the spring of 1952 the Sunnyslope congregation assumed responsibility of two mission Sunday schools among the colored migrants in the [[Buckeye Mennonite Church (Buckeye, Arizona, USA)|Buckeye]] community—some 45 miles southwest of Sunnyslope. Later the Sunday schools were combined and a church was erected at Hodge Camp No. 29, 2 miles north of Buckeye. In 1955 Johnwilliam Boyer, a deacon at Sunnyslope since 1950, was ordained to be pastor at Buckeye. In the 1950s African Americans comprised the largest part of attendants, but Spanish and Cocopah Indians were usually also present. Attendance sometimes reached 90.
 
In the spring of 1952 the Sunnyslope congregation assumed responsibility of two mission Sunday schools among the colored migrants in the [[Buckeye Mennonite Church (Buckeye, Arizona, USA)|Buckeye]] community—some 45 miles southwest of Sunnyslope. Later the Sunday schools were combined and a church was erected at Hodge Camp No. 29, 2 miles north of Buckeye. In 1955 Johnwilliam Boyer, a deacon at Sunnyslope since 1950, was ordained to be pastor at Buckeye. In the 1950s African Americans comprised the largest part of attendants, but Spanish and Cocopah Indians were usually also present. Attendance sometimes reached 90.
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 663|date=1959|a1_last=Ruth|a1_first=Melvin L|a2_last=|a2_first=}}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 663|date=1959|a1_last=Ruth|a1_first=Melvin L|a2_last=|a2_first=}}

Revision as of 14:51, 23 August 2013

Sunnyslope Mennonite Church, 1948 Scan courtesy [http://www.mcusa-archives.org/Archives/GuideAMC.html Mennonite Church USA Archives-Goshen] X-31.1, Box 17/49
Sunnyslope Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), located 10 miles north of Phoenix, Arizona, a member of the South Pacific Mennonite Conference, began on 20 February 1944, when a meeting was called in the home of Harold A. Brooks. In February 1946 an organization was made, with Joe H. Yoder as pastor. He was succeeded in 1948 by Melvin L. Ruth, who was ordained bishop in 1950. The first meetinghouse was built on a donated lot on N. 7th Place in 1946. In 1949 a new church built of pumice block was erected beside it. The older building was then used as a Christian day school and Sunday school. This small group holds a weekly service at a rescue mission in Phoenix. In 1957 the membership was 136, with Melvin L. Ruth as pastor.

In the spring of 1952 the Sunnyslope congregation assumed responsibility of two mission Sunday schools among the colored migrants in the Buckeye community—some 45 miles southwest of Sunnyslope. Later the Sunday schools were combined and a church was erected at Hodge Camp No. 29, 2 miles north of Buckeye. In 1955 Johnwilliam Boyer, a deacon at Sunnyslope since 1950, was ordained to be pastor at Buckeye. In the 1950s African Americans comprised the largest part of attendants, but Spanish and Cocopah Indians were usually also present. Attendance sometimes reached 90.


Author(s) Melvin L Ruth
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Ruth, Melvin L. "Sunnyslope Mennonite Church (Phoenix, Arizona, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 22 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Sunnyslope_Mennonite_Church_(Phoenix,_Arizona,_USA)&oldid=96663.

APA style

Ruth, Melvin L. (1959). Sunnyslope Mennonite Church (Phoenix, Arizona, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Sunnyslope_Mennonite_Church_(Phoenix,_Arizona,_USA)&oldid=96663.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 663. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.