On 1 September 2002 an arsonist set fire to the sanctuary, causing severe damage. The church arranged to rent space at Living Hope Mennonite Brethren Church for worship services and Lawson Heights Alliance Church for their office. The church hoped to build a new sanctuary, but those plans never materialized. Eventually the congregation agreed to purchase the sanctuary of Holy Family (Catholic Church) Parish in the Sutherland area of Saskatoon. The first services were held in the new location on 19 October 2008. With the move to the Sutherland area, the name of the church was changed to Sutherland Evangelical Church on 13 September 2009.
EMMC Recorder (May 1984): 5; (October 2002): 4-5; (October/November 2008): 11; (September/October 2009): 9.
Heppner, Jack. Search for Renewal: the Story of the Rudnerweider/Evangelical Mennonite Mission Conference 1937-1987. 1987: 333-334.
Mailing Address: 159 Pinehouse Drive, Saskatoon, SK S7L 5W1
Location: 110-104th Street, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Website: Sutherland Evangelical Church
Sutherland Evangelical Church Membership
|Date Published||July 2010|
Cite This Article
Epp, Marlene. "Sutherland Evangelical Church (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. July 2010. Web. 28 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Sutherland_Evangelical_Church_(Saskatoon,_Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=61984.
Epp, Marlene. (July 2010). Sutherland Evangelical Church (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Sutherland_Evangelical_Church_(Saskatoon,_Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=61984.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.