From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130820)
(CSV import - 20130823)
Line 1: Line 1:
Sycamore Grove Mennonite Church, located 4 miles northwest of [[Garden City (Missouri, USA)|Garden City]], [[Cass County (Missouri, USA)|Cass County]], [[Missouri (USA)|Missouri]], a member of the [[South Central Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church USA)|South Central Conference]], was organized in 1868 by Bishop Jacob Kenagy. It was known as the [[Clearfork Amish Mennonite Church (Cass County, Missouri, USA)|Clearfork Church]]until 1883, when the present name was adopted. Sunday school was begun in 1871. It was an [[Amish Mennonites|Amish Mennonite]]church and a member of the [[Western District Amish Mennonite Conference|Western Amish Mennonite Conference]]. All services were conducted in German until 1896. In 1885 the [[Bethel Mennonite Church (Garden City, Missouri, USA)|Bethel Mennonite Church]] was organized as a more progressive English language group. In 1947, when Bethel was dissolved, the members joined the Sycamore Grove congregation. Missionaries sent out by this congregation were Nellie King and S. Paul Miller. The membership in 1957 was 223, with James D. Yoder as minister.
+
Sycamore Grove Mennonite Church, located 4 miles northwest of [[Garden City (Missouri, USA)|Garden City]], [[Cass County (Missouri, USA)|Cass County]], [[Missouri (USA)|Missouri]], a member of the [[South Central Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church USA)|South Central Conference]], was organized in 1868 by Bishop Jacob Kenagy. It was known as the [[Clearfork Amish Mennonite Church (Cass County, Missouri, USA)|Clearfork Church ]]until 1883, when the present name was adopted. Sunday school was begun in 1871. It was an [[Amish Mennonites|Amish Mennonite ]]church and a member of the [[Western District Amish Mennonite Conference|Western Amish Mennonite Conference]]. All services were conducted in German until 1896. In 1885 the [[Bethel Mennonite Church (Garden City, Missouri, USA)|Bethel Mennonite Church]] was organized as a more progressive English language group. In 1947, when Bethel was dissolved, the members joined the Sycamore Grove congregation. Missionaries sent out by this congregation were Nellie King and S. Paul Miller. The membership in 1957 was 223, with James D. Yoder as minister.
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 678|date=1959|a1_last=Zook|a1_first=Ruby|a2_last=|a2_first=}}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 678|date=1959|a1_last=Zook|a1_first=Ruby|a2_last=|a2_first=}}

Revision as of 14:51, 23 August 2013

Sycamore Grove Mennonite Church, located 4 miles northwest of Garden City, Cass County, Missouri, a member of the South Central Conference, was organized in 1868 by Bishop Jacob Kenagy. It was known as the Clearfork Church until 1883, when the present name was adopted. Sunday school was begun in 1871. It was an Amish Mennonite church and a member of the Western Amish Mennonite Conference. All services were conducted in German until 1896. In 1885 the Bethel Mennonite Church was organized as a more progressive English language group. In 1947, when Bethel was dissolved, the members joined the Sycamore Grove congregation. Missionaries sent out by this congregation were Nellie King and S. Paul Miller. The membership in 1957 was 223, with James D. Yoder as minister.


Author(s) Ruby Zook
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Zook, Ruby. "Sycamore Grove Mennonite Church (Garden City, Missouri, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 1 Apr 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Sycamore_Grove_Mennonite_Church_(Garden_City,_Missouri,_USA)&oldid=96690.

APA style

Zook, Ruby. (1959). Sycamore Grove Mennonite Church (Garden City, Missouri, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 1 April 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Sycamore_Grove_Mennonite_Church_(Garden_City,_Missouri,_USA)&oldid=96690.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 678. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.