Taber Mennonite Church (Taber, Alberta, Canada)
Taber Mennonite Church in Taber, Alberta began services in 1949, and formally organized in 1963. The first building was occupied in 1953, with a subsequent building program in 1985. David Nickel is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through outreach by Coaldale Mennonite Church among Old Colony Mennonites near Taber.
The need for an organized church community among the Old Colony of Taber became known when a young boy died and there was no local church or spiritual leadership to help with funeral arrangements. Assistance was sought from Coaldale Mennonite which began to send ministers and teachers to Taber and eventually helped to organize the church. The language of worship was English.
The congregation dissolved in September 1998 because of diminishing membership and financial difficulties.
Dick, C. L. The Mennonite Conference of Alberta: a History of its Churches and Institutions. Edmonton: The Mennonite Conference of Alberta, 1981: 91-93.
Canadian Mennonite (5 November 1963): 1; (18 January 1999): 30.
Mennonite Reporter (28 October 1985): 18.
Unpublished congregational history, 1960, 2 pp. Mennonite Heritage Centre.
Archives held by Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta.
Former Address: 5005-56 Avenue, Taber, AB.
Conference of Mennonites in Alberta (1964-1998)
Conference of Mennonites in Canada (1971-1998)
General Conference Mennonite Church (1986-1998)
Taber Mennonite Church Memembership
|Date Published||July 1986|
Cite This Article
Epp, Marlene. "Taber Mennonite Church (Taber, Alberta, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. July 1986. Web. 23 Jan 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Taber_Mennonite_Church_(Taber,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=77991.
Epp, Marlene. (July 1986). Taber Mennonite Church (Taber, Alberta, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 January 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Taber_Mennonite_Church_(Taber,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=77991.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.