From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:01, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)


Jump to: navigation, search

Ternaard, a village in the northern part of the Dutch province of Friesland, the seat of a Mennonite congregation since 1849, in which year it split off from the Holwerd-Blija congregation as an independent church. While still a part of the Holwerd congregation the Ternaard group was usually called Vischbuurt, because the meetinghouse was found in Vischbuurt outside of the village of Ternaard. After this group had become independent, a new meetinghouse was built at Ternaard in 1850 and the old Vischbuurt church was sold. The Ternaard church was provided with an organ in 1894. Church activities include a youth group, ages 18-25; a youth group, ages 12-18; Sunday school for children; and a ladies' circle. Outstanding families in the Ternaard congregation are Bierma and Hiddema.

The baptized membership of Ternaard was 31 in 1850, 67 in 1901, 109 in 1958. Pastors serving here have been L. E. Halbertsma 1850, L. Noteboom 1852-1858, A. A. Deenik 1860-1881, pulpit vacant 1881-1897, U. J. Reinders 1897-1899, F. W. W. Braak 1900-1906, J. G. Frerichs 1906-1914, J. H. van Riemsdijk 1914-1922, J. Kooiman 1923-1930, Jac. Hulshoff 1930-1937, K. T. Gorter 1937-1939, J. A. A. Meijer 1940-1946, Miss H. G. Zijlstra 1946-1952, F. R. van der Meulen 1953-    .

Bibliography

Doopsgezind Jaarboekje (1850): 45-47.

Doopsgezinde Bijdragen (1882): 127; (1895): 179; (1900): 230.


Author(s) Nanne van der Zijpp
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

van der Zijpp, Nanne. "Ternaard (Friesland, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 21 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ternaard_(Friesland,_Netherlands)&oldid=78070.

APA style

van der Zijpp, Nanne. (1959). Ternaard (Friesland, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ternaard_(Friesland,_Netherlands)&oldid=78070.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 697. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.