Threshing Stones, used by the Mennonites of Russia and in few cases in the prairie states and provinces, became the emblem of Bethel College and also of agriculture. The threshing stone is a seven-ribbed cone-shaped stone wheel with a round hole through the horizontal axis. It was about thirty inches long and two feet in diameter. Each six-inch rib is tapered from six inches at the base to two and one-half inches at the outer edge. In Kansas such threshing stones were cut according to a wooden model by a stone quarry near Florence, the model having been prepared by the early Mennonite settlers.
The cut grain was spread in two concentric circles on the threshing floor with the heads of the grain facing each other. The threshing stone was pulled by two horses; the ribbed stone rolling over the heads of the grain knocked the grain and chaff from the straw, after which the grain was fanned. Some of these stones are found in the Kauffman Museum in North Newton, Kansas, and on Kansas Mennonite farmyards.
|Author(s)||Jacob A. Duerksen|
Cite This Article
Duerksen, Jacob A.. "Threshing Stones." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 23 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Threshing_Stones&oldid=61346.
Duerksen, Jacob A.. (1959). Threshing Stones. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Threshing_Stones&oldid=61346.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.