Difference between revisions of "Tschetter Hutterite Colony (Olivet, South Dakota, USA)"

From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[checked revision][checked revision]
(updated link)
 
Line 2: Line 2:
 
Tschetter [[Hutterian Brethren (Hutterische Brüder)|Hutterite Bruderhof]], of the [[Schmiedeleut|Schmiedeleut]] branch, located near Olivet, [[Hutchinson County (South Dakota, USA)|Hutchinson County]], [[South Dakota (USA)|South Dakota]], was founded in 1890 by members of the Wolf Creek colony. In 1918 they sold the property and founded the Rosebud [[Bruderhof|Bruderhof]] near Redland, [[Alberta (Canada)|Alberta]]. In 1941 the original (South Dakota) site was bought and rebuilt by Brethren from the [[Barickman Hutterite Colony (Cartier, Manitoba Canada)|Barickman]] commune near Headingly, Manitoba; fourteen families and David Decker, who was chosen to the ministry in 1931 and confirmed on 27 December 1936, formed the new Tschetter Bruderhof. Jacob Wipf was chosen preacher in 1948; he was the leader of a group of ten families from the Tschetter Bruderhof who established the [[Gracevale Hutterite Colony (Winfred, South Dakota, USA)|Gracevale Bruderhof]] in Winfred, South Dakota, in 1950, where he was ordained. Paul Decker was chosen as preacher at Tschetter in 1952 and ordained in 1957. In 1958 the Tschetter Bruderhof had 40 baptized members in a population of 142. Gracevale had 30 baptized members.
 
Tschetter [[Hutterian Brethren (Hutterische Brüder)|Hutterite Bruderhof]], of the [[Schmiedeleut|Schmiedeleut]] branch, located near Olivet, [[Hutchinson County (South Dakota, USA)|Hutchinson County]], [[South Dakota (USA)|South Dakota]], was founded in 1890 by members of the Wolf Creek colony. In 1918 they sold the property and founded the Rosebud [[Bruderhof|Bruderhof]] near Redland, [[Alberta (Canada)|Alberta]]. In 1941 the original (South Dakota) site was bought and rebuilt by Brethren from the [[Barickman Hutterite Colony (Cartier, Manitoba Canada)|Barickman]] commune near Headingly, Manitoba; fourteen families and David Decker, who was chosen to the ministry in 1931 and confirmed on 27 December 1936, formed the new Tschetter Bruderhof. Jacob Wipf was chosen preacher in 1948; he was the leader of a group of ten families from the Tschetter Bruderhof who established the [[Gracevale Hutterite Colony (Winfred, South Dakota, USA)|Gracevale Bruderhof]] in Winfred, South Dakota, in 1950, where he was ordained. Paul Decker was chosen as preacher at Tschetter in 1952 and ordained in 1957. In 1958 the Tschetter Bruderhof had 40 baptized members in a population of 142. Gracevale had 30 baptized members.
  
Daughter colonies of Tschetter Colony include: [[Gracevale Hutterite Colony (Winfred, South Dakota, USA)|Gracevale Hutterite Colony]] (Winfred, South Dakota, USA); [[Pembrook Hutterite Colony (Ipswich, South Dakota, USA)|Pembrook Hutterite Colony]] (Ipswich, South Dakota, USA); and [[Wolf Creek Hutterite Colony (Freeman, South Dakota, USA)|Wolf Creek Hutterite Colony]] (Olivet, South Dakota, USA).
+
Daughter colonies of Tschetter Colony include: [[Gracevale Hutterite Colony (Winfred, South Dakota, USA)|Gracevale Hutterite Colony]] (Winfred, South Dakota, USA); [[Pembrook Hutterite Colony (Ipswich, South Dakota, USA)|Pembrook Hutterite Colony]] (Ipswich, South Dakota, USA); and [[Wolf Creek Hutterite Colony (Hutchinson County, South Dakota, USA)|Wolf Creek Hutterite Colony]] (Olivet, South Dakota, USA).
  
 
In 2017 Tschetter Colony was a [[Schmiedeleut|Schmiedeleut]] Group 2 colony.  
 
In 2017 Tschetter Colony was a [[Schmiedeleut|Schmiedeleut]] Group 2 colony.  

Latest revision as of 19:42, 21 November 2017

Tschetter Hutterite Bruderhof, of the Schmiedeleut branch, located near Olivet, Hutchinson County, South Dakota, was founded in 1890 by members of the Wolf Creek colony. In 1918 they sold the property and founded the Rosebud Bruderhof near Redland, Alberta. In 1941 the original (South Dakota) site was bought and rebuilt by Brethren from the Barickman commune near Headingly, Manitoba; fourteen families and David Decker, who was chosen to the ministry in 1931 and confirmed on 27 December 1936, formed the new Tschetter Bruderhof. Jacob Wipf was chosen preacher in 1948; he was the leader of a group of ten families from the Tschetter Bruderhof who established the Gracevale Bruderhof in Winfred, South Dakota, in 1950, where he was ordained. Paul Decker was chosen as preacher at Tschetter in 1952 and ordained in 1957. In 1958 the Tschetter Bruderhof had 40 baptized members in a population of 142. Gracevale had 30 baptized members.

Daughter colonies of Tschetter Colony include: Gracevale Hutterite Colony (Winfred, South Dakota, USA); Pembrook Hutterite Colony (Ipswich, South Dakota, USA); and Wolf Creek Hutterite Colony (Olivet, South Dakota, USA).

In 2017 Tschetter Colony was a Schmiedeleut Group 2 colony.

Additional Information

Location

Olivet, South Dakota (coordinates: 43.371111, -97.688056 [43˚ 22′ 16″ N, 97˚ 41′ 17″ W])

Address

27709 Tschetter Ave., Olivet, SD 57052-5902

Switchboard Phone

605-928-3194

Managers and Ministers

Manager Minister Years
Aaron Hofer Michael Decker 2006
Aaron Hofer Michael Decker 2010
Herman Decker Jr. Michael Decker 2015
Herman Decker Jr. Michael Decker 2017

Maps

Map:Tschetter Hutterite Colony, Olivet, South Dakota


Author(s) David Decker
Bert Friesen
Date Published November 2017


Cite This Article

MLA style

Decker, David and Bert Friesen. "Tschetter Hutterite Colony (Olivet, South Dakota, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. November 2017. Web. 18 Dec 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Tschetter_Hutterite_Colony_(Olivet,_South_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=155807.

APA style

Decker, David and Bert Friesen. (November 2017). Tschetter Hutterite Colony (Olivet, South Dakota, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 December 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Tschetter_Hutterite_Colony_(Olivet,_South_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=155807.




Hpbuttns.gif

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 753. All rights reserved.


©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.