From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

The United Mennonite Church of Winnipeg began services and formally organized in 1958. The first building was occupied in 1958. Bishop Jacob Toews is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through division from Sargent Ave. Mennonite Church over leadership issues.

Bishop Toews resigned from his position as leader of Sargent Ave. Mennonite Church in Winnipeg when the church constitution was changed to subject the leadership of the congregation to a periodic vote. He left the church and a number of members followed him. The church purchased the former North Kildonan Mennonite Brethren meeting place.

The new church dissolved within the first year. Membership was 45.It had been affiliated with the Conference of Mennonites in Manitoba in 1958. The language of worship was German.

[edit] Bibliography

Canadian Mennonite (9 May 1958): 8; (19 September 1958): 1; (14 November 1958): 1.


Author(s) Marlene Epp
Date Published February 1989


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Epp, Marlene. "United Mennonite Church of Winnipeg (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 1989. Web. 19 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=United_Mennonite_Church_of_Winnipeg_(Winnipeg,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=78396.

APA style

Epp, Marlene. (February 1989). United Mennonite Church of Winnipeg (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=United_Mennonite_Church_of_Winnipeg_(Winnipeg,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=78396.




©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.