In February 1853 "The United Zion's Children" was organized by Mathias Brinser. This group was located mostly in eastern Pennsylvania, and was formerly a part of the "River Brethren" (Brethren in Christ). One of the issues in the formation of the United Zion's Children was whether meetinghouses were acceptable or whether Christians should only meet in homes. Brinser favored the use of a meetinghouse.
The church incorporated in 1953, and, in 1986, had 13 congregations and 880 members. The United Zion Church operated a nursing home, a campgrove (holiness camps), and a youth center. It supported missionaries in Africa, Chile, and the United States.
Brinser, S. H. et al. Brief History of the United Zion's Children Church. N.p., n.d.:1-8.
Hollinger, Paul R. UZ: A History of the United Zion Church, 1853-1980. N.p.:the author, 1981.
Wittlinger, Carlton O. Quest for Piety and Obedience: The Story of the Brethren in Christ. Nappanee, IN: Evangel Press, 1979: 133-39, 379, 412, 466, 514, 549.
|Author(s)||J. Paul Martin|
Cite This Article
Martin, J. Paul. "United Zion Church." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1989. Web. 13 Feb 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=United_Zion_Church&oldid=61596.
Martin, J. Paul. (1989). United Zion Church. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 13 February 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=United_Zion_Church&oldid=61596.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.