From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:03, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)


Jump to: navigation, search

The Vanderhoof Mennonite Brethren congregation began services in 1953. The first building was occupied in 1954, with a subsequent building program in 1975. Calvin and Tillie Buehler are considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through outreach by of West Coast Children's Mission. It was affiliated with the British Columbia Conference of the Mennonite Brethren Churches.

The congregation joined the Associate Gospel Church in 1963-64, rather than Mennonite Brethren Conference, and became known as the Vanderhoof Gospel Chapel. The language of worship was English.

An earlier Mennonite Brethren community at Vanderhoof, led by Elder Heinrich Voth, was established about 1918 by American draft resisters from Oklahoma, Minnesota, and Kansas. A church was built at Braeside in 1919. Most of these settlers returned to the United States in the early 1920s.

Bibliography

Hancock, Lyn, ed. Vanderhoof: the Town That Wouldn't Wait. Vanderhoof: Nechako Valley Historical Society, 1979, 211 pp.

Mennonite Reporter (18 March 1974): 10; (5 August 1974): 9.


Author(s) Marlene Epp
Date Published July 1986


Cite This Article

MLA style

Epp, Marlene. "Vanderhoof Mennonite Brethren Church (Vanderhoof, British Columbia, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. July 1986. Web. 20 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Vanderhoof_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Vanderhoof,_British_Columbia,_Canada)&oldid=78469.

APA style

Epp, Marlene. (July 1986). Vanderhoof Mennonite Brethren Church (Vanderhoof, British Columbia, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Vanderhoof_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Vanderhoof,_British_Columbia,_Canada)&oldid=78469.




©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.