From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[checked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130820)
m
(One intermediate revision by one user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
Walnut Creek Mennonite Church ([[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church]]), a member of the [[Ohio and Eastern Mennonite Conference (MC)|Ohio and Eastern Mennonite Conference]], is located less than a mile southeast of Walnut Creek, [[Holmes County (Ohio, USA)|Holmes County]], [[Ohio (State)|Ohio]]. The first settlers were Jonas Stutzman and four young [[Amish|Amish]] couples from Somerset, [[Pennsylvania (USA)|Pennsylvania]], in 1809-1810. Church services were held in the homes, and by 1850 there were four Amish church districts in this spreading settlement. One of these suffered a division, and the liberal segment led by Bishop "Gross" [[Miller, Moses J. (1811-1897)|Moses J. Miller]] became the nucleus of the Walnut Creek Amish Mennonite Church. In 1862 the first meeting house was built, replaced in 1896 by the present building, which was enlarged in 1908 and 1950. The membership in 1957 was 598. Paul R. Miller, a great-great-grandson of the founder, was the bishop and pastor in the late 1950s.
+
Walnut Creek Mennonite Church ([[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church]]), a member of the [[Ohio and Eastern Mennonite Conference (MC)|Ohio and Eastern Mennonite Conference]], is located less than a mile southeast of Walnut Creek, [[Holmes County (Ohio, USA)|Holmes County]], [[Ohio (USA)|Ohio]]. The first settlers were Jonas Stutzman and four young [[Amish Mennonites|Amish]] couples from Somerset, [[Pennsylvania (USA)|Pennsylvania]], in 1809-1810. Church services were held in the homes, and by 1850 there were four Amish church districts in this spreading settlement. One of these suffered a division, and the liberal segment led by Bishop "Gross" [[Miller, Moses J. (1811-1897)|Moses J. Miller]] became the nucleus of the Walnut Creek Amish Mennonite Church. In 1862 the first meeting house was built, replaced in 1896 by the present building, which was enlarged in 1908 and 1950. The membership in 1957 was 598. Paul R. Miller, a great-great-grandson of the founder, was the bishop and pastor in the late 1950s.
 
= Bibliography =
 
= Bibliography =
 
Glick, Nettie. <em>Historical Sketch of the Walnutcreek A.M. Church</em>. Scottdale, 1933.
 
Glick, Nettie. <em>Historical Sketch of the Walnutcreek A.M. Church</em>. Scottdale, 1933.
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 880|date=1959|a1_last=Miller|a1_first=Paul R|a2_last= |a2_first= }}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 880|date=1959|a1_last=Miller|a1_first=Paul R|a2_last= |a2_first= }}

Revision as of 00:05, 19 October 2013

Walnut Creek Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), a member of the Ohio and Eastern Mennonite Conference, is located less than a mile southeast of Walnut Creek, Holmes County, Ohio. The first settlers were Jonas Stutzman and four young Amish couples from Somerset, Pennsylvania, in 1809-1810. Church services were held in the homes, and by 1850 there were four Amish church districts in this spreading settlement. One of these suffered a division, and the liberal segment led by Bishop "Gross" Moses J. Miller became the nucleus of the Walnut Creek Amish Mennonite Church. In 1862 the first meeting house was built, replaced in 1896 by the present building, which was enlarged in 1908 and 1950. The membership in 1957 was 598. Paul R. Miller, a great-great-grandson of the founder, was the bishop and pastor in the late 1950s.

Bibliography

Glick, Nettie. Historical Sketch of the Walnutcreek A.M. Church. Scottdale, 1933.


Author(s) Paul R Miller
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Miller, Paul R. "Walnut Creek Mennonite Church (Walnut Creek, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 2 Aug 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Walnut_Creek_Mennonite_Church_(Walnut_Creek,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=102758.

APA style

Miller, Paul R. (1959). Walnut Creek Mennonite Church (Walnut Creek, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 2 August 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Walnut_Creek_Mennonite_Church_(Walnut_Creek,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=102758.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 880. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.