Waterloo-Kitchener United Mennonite Church (Waterloo, Ontario, Canada)
The Waterloo-Kitchener United Mennonite congregation originally consisted of some of the 875 immigrants that arrived in Waterloo from Russia on 19 July 1924. In June of 1925, fifty-eight of these people met to organize a new congregation -- the Mennonite Refugee Congregation of Ontario (Mennoniten Flüchtlingsgemeinde in Ontario) -- under the leadership of Jacob H. Janzen. On 15 August 1926, this name changed to the United Mennonite Church of Ontario and included members from central, southwestern and northern Ontario. In January 1929, this group was divided into three separate congregations: the Essex County UM Church in the southwest, the Reesor UM Church in the north and the Waterloo-Kitchener UM Church in central Ontario.
Initially the Waterloo-Kitchener congregation met in rented quarters on King St. N in Waterloo above the Harmony Lunch restaurant. In 1927 the congregation moved to 15 George St. in Waterloo, first renting and then in 1932, purchasing the former Presbyterian Church, for $4000, at this location. The church building was enlarged in 1952-53, a new foyer added in 1961, then modified to include a new organ in 1973, and an education wing added in 1974.South America from 1947 and continuing into the 1950s. To meet the needs of these newcomers, all worship services were conducted in the German language until the early 1950s. In 2003 on Sunday mornings separate services continued in both German and English. Music became an integral part of worship under the long directorship of Jacob H. Enns and continues to be important. Community outreach has taken several forms including the establishment and construction of the adjacent Waterloo Mennonite Homes (1980), community meals for seniors, support for the House of Friendship in caring for homeless men and the recent involvement at Parkwood Mennonite Home to expand into a new facility. On 5-7 October 1984 the church, along with Erb Street Mennonite Church, one of the original sponsors of the refugees, spearheaded the celebration of the 60th anniversary of the arrival of the first immigrants in Ontario.
Waterloo-Kitchener United Mennonite Church has been affiliated with the Conference of United Mennonite Churches of Ontario (1929-88), the Conference of Mennonites in Canada/Mennonite Church Canada, the General Conference Mennonite Church (1926-1999) and Mennonite Church Eastern Canada (1988-present).
Canadian Mennonite (28 June 1966): 14.
Fast, Jacob and Herbert Enns, eds. Jubilee Issue of the Waterloo-Kitchener United Mennonite Church, 1924-1974. Waterloo, ON: Waterloo-Kitchener United Mennonite Church, 1974, 134 pp.
Geschichte der Waterloo-Kitchener Vereinigten Menoniten Gemeinde, 1925-1953. 1953, 35 pp.
Mennonite Reporter (14 April 1986): 14; (19 February 1996): 17.
Mennonite Encyclopedia, "Waterloo-Kitchener."
Archival RecordsThe congregation's archives are located at the church and at the Mennonite Archives of Ontario.
Waterloo-Kitchener United Mennonite Church Leading Pastors
|Minister||Years of Service|
|Jacob H. Janzen||1925-1947|
|Henry H. Epp||1948-1951|
|Henry P. Epp||1951-1956|
|No Leading Minister||1956-1958|
|Henry H. Epp||1958-1965|
|No Leading Minister||1965-1967|
|David Neufeld (Interim)||1971-1973|
|Walter Klaassen (Interim)||1980-1981|
|Peter G. Sawatzky||1981-1988|
|Edmund Pries (Interim)||1999-2000|
Waterloo-Kitchener United Mennonite Church Membership
|Date Published||September 2003|
Cite This Article
Reimer, John. "Waterloo-Kitchener United Mennonite Church (Waterloo, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. September 2003. Web. 19 Aug 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Waterloo-Kitchener_United_Mennonite_Church_(Waterloo,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=103518.
Reimer, John. (September 2003). Waterloo-Kitchener United Mennonite Church (Waterloo, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 August 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Waterloo-Kitchener_United_Mennonite_Church_(Waterloo,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=103518.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.