From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Wellesley Old Order Amish congregation had its origin in 1886 as a schism of five families from the Maple View Amish Mennonite congregation in opposition to the use of a meetinghouse for worship. They were under bishop oversight from Holmes County, Ohio, until 1891, when they became an organized separate congregation, but they alternated services in close fellowship with the Mornington Old Order Amish group. The Lichti Amish Mennonite Church, located a mile north of the village of Wellesley, broke off in 1912; it has a meetinghouse. The Mornington Old Order Amish group in the same neighborhood was formed by a schism from the Poole Amish Mennonite congregation in 1886, also because of objections to a meetinghouse. The Poole Amish Mennonite group suffered a second schism in 1904, when the Nafziger Old Order Amish congregation separated, which is now parallel to the Lichti Amish Mennonite congregation, having its own meetinghouse.

In 1958 the Wellesley Old Order Amish congregation had 48 families with 140 members. The ministers were Amos Z. Albrecht bishop, and Menno Lichti, J. K. Jantzi, and J. N. Jantzi as preachers.


Author(s) Joseph C Fretz
Date Published 1959


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Fretz, Joseph C. "Wellesley Old Order Amish Church (Wellesley, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 20 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Wellesley_Old_Order_Amish_Church_(Wellesley,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=113684.

APA style

Fretz, Joseph C. (1959). Wellesley Old Order Amish Church (Wellesley, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Wellesley_Old_Order_Amish_Church_(Wellesley,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=113684.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 914. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.