Difference between revisions of "Wellman Mennonite Church (Wellman, Iowa, USA)"

From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[checked revision][checked revision]
m (Added address and website.)
(Added image and categories.)
Line 1: Line 1:
Wellman Mennonite Church ([[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church]]), formerly called the Daytonville Mission, located in [[Wellman (Iowa, USA)|Wellman]], [[Iowa (USA)|Iowa]], a member of the [[Iowa-Nebraska Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church)|Iowa-Nebraska Mennonite Conference]], began in 1906 as a Sunday school in Daytonville School-house conducted by members of [[West Union Mennonite Church (Parnell, Iowa, USA)|West Union]] congregation. The meetinghouse was acquired in 1911. W. S. Guengerich was first resident minister, ordained in 1925, followed by Edward Diener in 1926. The congregation was organized 6 May 1935. A new church with seating capacity of 650 at the north edge of Wellman was dedicated 10 November 1940. The ministers in 1957 were George S. Miller and J. Max Yoder; the bishop was Simon Gingerich. The membership was 335.
+
[[File:WellmanMennoniteChurch1946.jpg|400px|thumbnail|Wellman Mennonite Church in Wellman, Iowa in 1946.<br />
 +
Source: Mennonite Community Photograph Collection, The Congregation (HM4-134 Box 1 photo 010.6-2).<br />
 +
[https://www.flickr.com/photos/mennonitechurchusa-archives/5349549700/in/set-72157625807953784/ Mennonite Church USA Archives, Goshen, Indiana].]]
 +
Wellman Mennonite Church ([[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church]]), formerly called the Daytonville Mission, located in [[Wellman (Iowa, USA)|Wellman]], [[Iowa (USA)|Iowa]], a member of the [[Iowa-Nebraska Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church)|Iowa-Nebraska Mennonite Conference]], began in 1906 as a Sunday school in Daytonville School-house conducted by members of [[West Union Mennonite Church (Parnell, Iowa, USA)|West Union]] congregation. The meetinghouse was acquired in 1911. W. S. Guengerich was first resident minister, ordained in 1925, followed by Edward Diener in 1926. The congregation was organized 6 May 1935. A new church with seating capacity of 650 at the north edge of Wellman was dedicated 10 November 1940.
 +
 
 +
The ministers in 1957 were George S. Miller and J. Max Yoder; the bishop was Simon Gingerich. The membership was 335.
 
== Additional Information ==
 
== Additional Information ==
'''Address''': 1215 8th Ave, Wellman, IA 52356
+
'''Address''': PO Box 122, Wellman, IA 52356-0122
 +
 
 +
'''Location''': 1215 8th Ave, Wellman, IA 52356
  
 
'''Telephone''': 319-646-2532
 
'''Telephone''': 319-646-2532
  
 
'''Website''': [http://wellmanmennonite.com/ Wellman Mennonite Church]
 
'''Website''': [http://wellmanmennonite.com/ Wellman Mennonite Church]
 +
 +
'''Denominational Affiliations''':
 +
 +
[[Iowa-Nebraska Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church)|Iowa-Nebraska Mennonite Conference]]
 +
 +
[[Mennonite Church (MC)]]
 +
 +
[http://www.centralplainsmc.org/ Central Plains Mennonite Conference]
 +
 +
[http://www.mennoniteusa.org/ Mennonite Church USA]
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, pp. 914-915|date=1959|a1_last=Miller|a1_first=George S|a2_last= |a2_first= }}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, pp. 914-915|date=1959|a1_last=Miller|a1_first=George S|a2_last= |a2_first= }}
 +
[[Category:Churches]]
 +
[[Category:Central Plains Mennonite Conference Congregations]]
 +
[[Category:Iowa-Nebraska Mennonite Conference Congregations]]
 +
[[Category:Mennonite Church (MC) Congregations]]
 +
[[Category:Mennonite Church USA Congregations]]
 +
[[Category:Iowa Congregations]]
 +
[[Category:United States Congregations]]

Revision as of 06:55, 28 March 2014

Wellman Mennonite Church in Wellman, Iowa in 1946.
Source: Mennonite Community Photograph Collection, The Congregation (HM4-134 Box 1 photo 010.6-2).
Mennonite Church USA Archives, Goshen, Indiana.

Wellman Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), formerly called the Daytonville Mission, located in Wellman, Iowa, a member of the Iowa-Nebraska Mennonite Conference, began in 1906 as a Sunday school in Daytonville School-house conducted by members of West Union congregation. The meetinghouse was acquired in 1911. W. S. Guengerich was first resident minister, ordained in 1925, followed by Edward Diener in 1926. The congregation was organized 6 May 1935. A new church with seating capacity of 650 at the north edge of Wellman was dedicated 10 November 1940.

The ministers in 1957 were George S. Miller and J. Max Yoder; the bishop was Simon Gingerich. The membership was 335.

Additional Information

Address: PO Box 122, Wellman, IA 52356-0122

Location: 1215 8th Ave, Wellman, IA 52356

Telephone: 319-646-2532

Website: Wellman Mennonite Church

Denominational Affiliations:

Iowa-Nebraska Mennonite Conference

Mennonite Church (MC)

Central Plains Mennonite Conference

Mennonite Church USA


Author(s) George S Miller
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Miller, George S. "Wellman Mennonite Church (Wellman, Iowa, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 18 Dec 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Wellman_Mennonite_Church_(Wellman,_Iowa,_USA)&oldid=116792.

APA style

Miller, George S. (1959). Wellman Mennonite Church (Wellman, Iowa, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 December 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Wellman_Mennonite_Church_(Wellman,_Iowa,_USA)&oldid=116792.




Hpbuttns.gif

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 914-915. All rights reserved.


©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.