West Liberty Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), located in southwestern McPherson County, Kansas, 4 miles west and 4 north of Inman, Kansas, a member of the South Central Mennonite Conference, the third oldest (Old) Mennonite Church congregation in Kansas, was organized in 1883 by Daniel Brundage with nine charter members, who had come from Indiana and Illinois. They purchased the Liberty School in 1884 and moved it to the present building site. The church was first officially named the West Liberty Mennonite Association. In 1892 when a new building was erected the present name was adopted. This meetinghouse was replaced by a new one in 1949.
When the first settlers arrived they attended the Union Sunday School at the Liberty schoolhouse. The Sunday school has continued to serve the people of the community. By 1900 the membership reached 87, and has since then always been around 100.
The following bishops have served this congregation: Daniel Brundage, Daniel Wismer, B. F. Hamilton 1883-1900, S. C. Miller 1900-10, T. M. Erb and D. H. Bender 1911-23, Harry A. Diener 1923-25, and J. G. Hartzler 1925-55; among the ministers were George R. Brunk 1893-1907, Charles D. Yoder 1895-1923, and Menno M. Troyer 1927- , pastor since 1955. The membership in 1957 was 91.
|Author(s)||Menno M Troyer|
Cite This Article
Troyer, Menno M. "West Liberty Mennonite Church (Inman, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 20 Nov 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=West_Liberty_Mennonite_Church_(Inman,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=78769.
Troyer, Menno M. (1959). West Liberty Mennonite Church (Inman, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 November 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=West_Liberty_Mennonite_Church_(Inman,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=78769.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.