The West Zion Mennonite congregation at Carstairs, AB began services and formally organized in 1901. The first building was occupied in 1902, with a subsequent building program in 1932. Israel R. Shantz is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through colonization of Alberta from Ontario.
The first Mennonite to settle in the Carstairs-Didsbury area was Andrew Weber, who came from Ontario in 1894. The main settlement was made in April 1901. The congregation was unusual for its time, as half the membership in the 1950s was of British descent.
In 1925 there were 35 members; in 1950, 78; in 1965, 68; in 1975, 59; in 1985, 58; in 1995, 73; in 2000 82. The congregation has been affiliated with the Northwest Mennonite Conference (1903-) and the Mennonite Church. The language of worship is English.
Ministers who served prior to 1960 included Israel R. Shantz, Amos Weber, Moses H. Schmitt, Noah R. Weber, Henry Weber, Allan Good, Norman Buschert, Alvin Steckly, Abe Reist, Ezra Stauffer, Linford Hackman, Henry J. Harder and Gordon Buschert.
The congregation's address is Box 626, Carstairs, AB, T0M 0N0. (403) 337-2020. The church is located 1.5 km north, 6 km west, 1.5 km, 0.5 km east. Minister Trevor Kiriaka served in 2006 as a congregational leader.
Stauffer, Ezra. History of the Alberta-Saskatchewan Mennonite Conference. 1960: 36.
West Zion Mennonite Church website
|Date Published||July 1986|
Cite This Article
Stauffer, Ezra and Marlene Epp. "West Zion Mennonite Church (Carstairs, Alberta, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. July 1986. Web. 26 Jul 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=West_Zion_Mennonite_Church_(Carstairs,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=61977.
Stauffer, Ezra and Marlene Epp. (July 1986). West Zion Mennonite Church (Carstairs, Alberta, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 July 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=West_Zion_Mennonite_Church_(Carstairs,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=61977.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.