The Wingham Mennonite congregation in Elm Creek, MB began services about 1930, and formally organized in 1938. The first building was occupied in 1939, with a subsequent building program in 1961. Cornelius Rempel is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through immigration from the Soviet Union.
In 1985 there were 40 members; in 2000, 47. The congregation has been affiliated with Mennonite Church Manitoba. The language of worship is English; the transition from German occurred in 1967-77. Prior to 1982 Wingham was part of the Blumenorter church group.
The congregation's address R.R.1, Box 255, Elm Creek, MB, R0G 0N0. (204) 436-2521. Located 5 miles west of Elm Creek on Hwy 2 and 5 miles north. Pastor Martin Sawatzky served in 2000 as a congregational leader.
Mennonite Reporter (7 February 1983): 13.
Reflections: the First 50 years, Wingham Mennonite Church, 1933-1983. Elm Creek: Wingham Mennonite Church, 1983, 92 pp.
Zacharias, Peter D. Footprints of a Pilgrim People: Story of Blumenort Mennonite Church. Gretna, MB: Blumenort Mennonite Church, 1985, 291 pp.
|Date Published||January 1989|
Cite This Article
Epp, Marlene. "Wingham Mennonite Church (Elm Creek, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. January 1989. Web. 28 Jul 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Wingham_Mennonite_Church_(Elm_Creek,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=62043.
Epp, Marlene. (January 1989). Wingham Mennonite Church (Elm Creek, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 July 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Wingham_Mennonite_Church_(Elm_Creek,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=62043.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.