Winkler, a town (population in 1959, 2,500; population in 2006, 9,106) in southern Manitoba
, 80 miles southwest of Winnipeg, 12 miles north of the United States
boundary (coordinates: 49° 10′ 0″ N, 97° 56′ 0″ W), in an area where grains, fruits, sugar beets, sunflowers
, corn, and canning crops are grown, was founded in 1892. During the 1950s it was the business, educational, and religious center for a 6,000 Mennonite population in the rural municipalities of Stanley and Rhineland, which were settled village-style in 1875. At the time it had an Mennonite Brethren Bible school (Winkler Bible Institute
), organized in 1925, with 4 teachers and 80 students; a public high school, largely Mennonite in teachers and student body, with 9 teachers and 225 students; and four Mennonite churches: Bergthal, Mennonite Brethren
, and Sommerfeld
, with a total membership of over 1,000. The Winkler Mennonite Brethren (MB) Church, organized in Burwalde in 1886, was the first MB church in Canada.
Brown, Frank. A history of the Town of Winkler, Manitoba. Winkler: F. Brown, 1973.
Brown, Frank. "Winkler, Manitoba." Mennonite Life XI (July 1956).
Werner, Hans Peter. Living between worlds: a history of Winkler. Winkler: Winkler Heritage Society, 2006.
Map:Winkler (Manitoba, Canada)
|| Peter Brown
| Date Published
 Cite This Article
Brown, Peter. "Winkler (Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 13 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Winkler_(Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=96882.
Brown, Peter. (1959). Winkler (Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 13 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Winkler_(Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=96882.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia
, Vol. 4, p. 960. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.