From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[checked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130823)
m (Replaced image.)
Line 1: Line 1:
[[File:Winnipeg1.png|300px|thumb|right|''Source: [http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page Wikipedia Commons]'']]     Winnipeg, the capital (1959 population, 243,287; population in 2006, 633,451) of the province of [[Manitoba (Canada)|Manitoba]], incorporated in 1873 with a population of 1,869, is situated at the confluence of the Red and Assiniboine rivers, 40 miles south of Lake Win­nipeg, and 60 miles north of the [[United States of America|United States]] border, almost midway between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans (coordinates: <span title="Latitude"></span><span title="Longitude">49° 53′ 42″ N, 97° 8′ 20″ W)</span>. The metropolitan area of Greater Winnipeg had a population of 354,069 out of a pro­vincial total of 776,541 in the late 1950s (694,668 out of a total provincial population of 1,148,801 in 2006). The total Mennonite popula­tion of Manitoba, including [[Hutterian Brethren (Hutterische Brüder)|Hutterites]], was 44,667 in 1957, the majority of whom are descendants of the immigrants from [[Russia|Russia]] of 1874-1880, although a considerable number are from the immigrations of 1922-25 and 1948-53. The Mennonite population of Greater Winnipeg was over 7,000 in 1957, con­stituting the largest Mennonite city population in the world.
+
[[File:Winnipeg1.jpg|265px|thumb|right|''Winnipeg, Manitoba<br />
 +
Source: [http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page Wikipedia Commons]'']]
 +
Winnipeg, the capital (1959 population, 243,287; population in 2006, 633,451) of the province of [[Manitoba (Canada)|Manitoba]], incorporated in 1873 with a population of 1,869, is situated at the confluence of the Red and Assiniboine rivers, 40 miles south of Lake Win­nipeg, and 60 miles north of the [[United States of America|United States]] border, almost midway between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans (coordinates: <span title="Latitude"></span><span title="Longitude">49° 53′ 42″ N, 97° 8′ 20″ W)</span>. The metropolitan area of Greater Winnipeg had a population of 354,069 out of a pro­vincial total of 776,541 in the late 1950s (694,668 out of a total provincial population of 1,148,801 in 2006). The total Mennonite popula­tion of Manitoba, including [[Hutterian Brethren (Hutterische Brüder)|Hutterites]], was 44,667 in 1957, the majority of whom are descendants of the immigrants from [[Russia|Russia]] of 1874-1880, although a considerable number are from the immigrations of 1922-25 and 1948-53. The Mennonite population of Greater Winnipeg was over 7,000 in 1957, con­stituting the largest Mennonite city population in the world.
  
 
Mennonite church work in Winnipeg began in 1907 when the [[Winkler Mennonite Brethren Church (Winkler, Manitoba, Canada)|Winkler Mennonite Brethren Church]] began a mis­sion there. The second work was a [[General Conference Mennonite Church (GCM)|General Conference Church]] mission begun in 1921. Other missions have been established by the older Manitoba groups in later years as fol­lows: [[Fellowship of Evangelical Bible Churches|Evangelical Mennonite Brethren]] in 1949, [[Chortitzer Mennonite Conference|Chortitz]] in 1952, [[Evangelical Mennonite Conference (Kleine Gemeinde)|Evangelical (Kleine Gemeinde)]] in 1954, and the [[Church of God in Christ, Mennonite (CGC)|Church of God in Christ Mennonites]] (discontinued). The first three missions have developed into regular congregations for Mennonites, while the latter two serve as unor­ganized Mennonite fellowship groups; the missions have as a whole not won many non-Mennonites, and would have remained small had it not been for the immigration from Russia beginning in 1922. This latter movement was intended to go to the farming territory of southern Manitoba, but only a part of the immigrants have remained on the land. Large numbers, lacking capital, moved to the city to secure work. The later immigration after World War II (1948 ff.) went largely directly to the city. Of the present Winnipeg Mennonite population of over 7,000, at least 90 per cent is composed of immi­grants since 1922.
 
Mennonite church work in Winnipeg began in 1907 when the [[Winkler Mennonite Brethren Church (Winkler, Manitoba, Canada)|Winkler Mennonite Brethren Church]] began a mis­sion there. The second work was a [[General Conference Mennonite Church (GCM)|General Conference Church]] mission begun in 1921. Other missions have been established by the older Manitoba groups in later years as fol­lows: [[Fellowship of Evangelical Bible Churches|Evangelical Mennonite Brethren]] in 1949, [[Chortitzer Mennonite Conference|Chortitz]] in 1952, [[Evangelical Mennonite Conference (Kleine Gemeinde)|Evangelical (Kleine Gemeinde)]] in 1954, and the [[Church of God in Christ, Mennonite (CGC)|Church of God in Christ Mennonites]] (discontinued). The first three missions have developed into regular congregations for Mennonites, while the latter two serve as unor­ganized Mennonite fellowship groups; the missions have as a whole not won many non-Mennonites, and would have remained small had it not been for the immigration from Russia beginning in 1922. This latter movement was intended to go to the farming territory of southern Manitoba, but only a part of the immigrants have remained on the land. Large numbers, lacking capital, moved to the city to secure work. The later immigration after World War II (1948 ff.) went largely directly to the city. Of the present Winnipeg Mennonite population of over 7,000, at least 90 per cent is composed of immi­grants since 1922.

Revision as of 05:55, 11 November 2013

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Source: Wikipedia Commons

Winnipeg, the capital (1959 population, 243,287; population in 2006, 633,451) of the province of Manitoba, incorporated in 1873 with a population of 1,869, is situated at the confluence of the Red and Assiniboine rivers, 40 miles south of Lake Win­nipeg, and 60 miles north of the United States border, almost midway between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans (coordinates: 49° 53′ 42″ N, 97° 8′ 20″ W). The metropolitan area of Greater Winnipeg had a population of 354,069 out of a pro­vincial total of 776,541 in the late 1950s (694,668 out of a total provincial population of 1,148,801 in 2006). The total Mennonite popula­tion of Manitoba, including Hutterites, was 44,667 in 1957, the majority of whom are descendants of the immigrants from Russia of 1874-1880, although a considerable number are from the immigrations of 1922-25 and 1948-53. The Mennonite population of Greater Winnipeg was over 7,000 in 1957, con­stituting the largest Mennonite city population in the world.

Mennonite church work in Winnipeg began in 1907 when the Winkler Mennonite Brethren Church began a mis­sion there. The second work was a General Conference Church mission begun in 1921. Other missions have been established by the older Manitoba groups in later years as fol­lows: Evangelical Mennonite Brethren in 1949, Chortitz in 1952, Evangelical (Kleine Gemeinde) in 1954, and the Church of God in Christ Mennonites (discontinued). The first three missions have developed into regular congregations for Mennonites, while the latter two serve as unor­ganized Mennonite fellowship groups; the missions have as a whole not won many non-Mennonites, and would have remained small had it not been for the immigration from Russia beginning in 1922. This latter movement was intended to go to the farming territory of southern Manitoba, but only a part of the immigrants have remained on the land. Large numbers, lacking capital, moved to the city to secure work. The later immigration after World War II (1948 ff.) went largely directly to the city. Of the present Winnipeg Mennonite population of over 7,000, at least 90 per cent is composed of immi­grants since 1922.

In 1957 Greater Winnipeg had ca. 4,000 baptized Mennonites distributed as follows: General Conference Mennonite (GCM) - 2,215 in 4 congregations (First Mennonite or Schoenwiese founded in 1926, 1,291; Sargent Avenue in 1928, 323; Bethel in 1938, 379; Bergthal Winnipeg Mission in 1950, 222); Mennonite Brethren - 1,521 in 4 congregations (Elmwood, formerly North End founded in 1913, new building in 1954, 460; North Kildonan in 1928, 499; Portage Avenue, formerly South End in 1936, 521; Gospel Light, 41); Evangelical Mennonite Brethren -  71 in one congregation, the Christian Fellowship Chapel (founded in 1949), plus a mission; and four missions (a total of 180 members) as follows: Chortitz (1952, 43), Evangelical (Kleine Gemeinde 1954, 50), Church of God in Christ Mennonite (Holdeman)  (15), and Rudnerweide. The GCM group also op­erates the St. Vital Mission in North Winnipeg, be­gun as a Sunday school in 1947.

Concordia Hospital in 1960. Source: Canadian Mennonite photo
The Mennonite Brethren and General Conference Mennonites have both developed educational insti­tutions in Winnipeg. In the mid-1950s the Mennonite Brethren had the Mennonite Brethren Bible College (est. 1944 on the north side at 77 Kelvin St.) and the near-by Mennonite Brethren Collegiate Institute (1945). The General Conference Mennonites had the Canadian Mennonite Bible College (est. 1947) on the far south side in Tuxedo at 600 University Boulevard East, and Mennonite Educational Institute (1958). Other charitable insti­tutions during the mid-1950s (all General Conference Mennonite) included Concordia Hospital (est. 1929), an 80-bed institution, Bethania Home for the Aged and Infirm with 84 beds (est. 1946 on 108 acres 11 miles north of Winnipeg), Ebenezer Girls' Home (est. 1926). The Christian Press, an Mennonite Brethren publishing agency, publisher of Die Mennonitische Rundschau, with a bookstore, was established by Herman Neufeld in 1923, and taken over in 1945 by a board which was partly conference controlled.

During the mid-1950s Mennonites also owned and operated many private business institutions, a few of which follow. The Konrad Conservatory of Music, operating under this name since 1950, employed 17 teachers and had about 300 students in instrumental and vocal music and music theory, of whom about 65 were Mennonites. C. A. DeFehr and Sons, Ltd. (est. 1925), with a branch of equal size in Edmonton, Alberta, was a wholesale distributor for larger appliances, small im­plements, heating units, and fuel, with about 2,000 dealers. Monarch Machinery Co., Ltd. (est. by J. J. Klassen in 1935) had a turnover of over $1,000,000, and engaged over 100 employees in the manufacture of pumps and farm equipment. John Martens & Co., Ltd. (est. in 1947), a wholesale sporting goods company, had 11 employees and a turnover of about $500,000. C. Huebert Lumber Co., Ltd., reached a peak turnover of about $900,000, but since 1952 the owner had gone over into the fiberboard manufac­turing business.

Table 1: Mennonite Congregations in Winnipeg, 2008


Congregation Denomination
Aberdeen Evangelical Mennonite Church Evangelical Mennonite Conference
Bethel Mennonite Church Mennonite Church
Braeside Evangelical Mennonite Church Evangelical Mennonite Conference
Callsbeck Mennonite Fellowship Chortitzer Mennonite Conference
Charleswood Mennonite Church Mennonite Church
Christian Family Centre Mennonite Brethren
Crestview Fellowship Evangelical Mennonite Conference
Crossroads Mennonite Brethren Church Mennonite Brethren
Douglas Mennonite Church Mennonite Church
Eastview Community Church Mennonite Brethren
Église communautaire de la rivière-Rouge Mennonite Brethren
Elmwood Mennonite Brethren Church Mennonite Brethren
FaithWorks Mennonite Brethren
First Mennonite Church Mennonite Church
Fort Garry Evangelical Mennonite Church Evangelical Mennonite Conference
Fort Garry Mennonite Brethren Church Mennonite Brethren
Fort Garry Mennonite Fellowship Mennonite Church
Good News Mennonite Church Independent
Gospel Mennonite Church Evangelical Mennonite Missions Conference
Home Street Mennonite Church Mennonite Church
Hope Mennonite Church Mennonite Church
Iglesia Jesus es el Camino Mennonite Church
Jubilee Mennonite Church Mennonite Brethren / Mennonite Church
Korean Mennonite Ministry Mennonite Church
Many Rooms Church Community Evangelical Mennonite Conference
McIvor Mennonite Brethren Church Mennonite Brethren
Morrow Gospel Church Evangelical Mennonite Missions Conference
North End Community Church EMC / EMMC / CMC
North Kildonan Mennonite Brethren Church Mennonite Brethren
North Kildonan Mennonite Church Mennonite Church
Portage Avenue Church Mennonite Brethren
River East Mennonite Brethren Church Mennonite Brethren
River East Mennonite Church Mennonite Church
Salem Mennonite Brethren Church Mennonite Brethren
Sargent Avenue Mennonite Church Mennonite Church
Springfield Heights Mennonite Church Mennonite Church
St. Vital Evangelical Mennonite Church Evangelical Mennonite Conference
Sterling Mennonite Fellowship Mennonite Church
The Meeting Place Mennonite Brethren
Vietnamese Mennonite Church Mennonite Church
Westwood Community Church Mennonite Brethren
Winnipeg Chinese Mennonite Mennonite Church
Winnipeg Chinese Mennonite Brethren Church Mennonite Brethren
Winnipeg Sommerfelder Mennonite Sommerfelder Mennonite Church

Bibliography

Enns, J. H.  “Winnipeg, Mani­toba." Mennonite Life XI (July 1956).

Driedger, Leo.  Mennonites in Winnipeg.  Winnipeg: Kindred Press, 1990.

Lohrenz, Gerhard "The Mennonites in Winnipeg." Mennonite Life (1951): 16-25.


Author(s) David Janzen
Date Published 2008


Cite This Article

MLA style

Janzen, David. "Winnipeg (Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 2008. Web. 19 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Winnipeg_(Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=103273.

APA style

Janzen, David. (2008). Winnipeg (Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Winnipeg_(Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=103273.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 961-962. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.