Difference between revisions of "Wolf Creek Hutterite Colony (Hutchinson County, South Dakota, USA)"

From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][checked revision]
 
(2 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 +
__TOC__
 
Wolf Creek, a [[Hutterian Brethren (Hutterische Brüder)|Hutterite]] Bruderhof, located on the James River, [[Hutchinson County (South Dakota, USA)|Hutchinson County]], [[South Dakota (USA)|South Dakota]], some 40 miles northeast of the first [[Bruderhof|Bruderhof]] at [[Bon Homme Hutterite Colony (Tabor, South Dakota, USA)|Bon Homme]], was founded in the spring of 1875 by preachers George Hofer and Darius Walter, who were both chosen and confirmed in Russia. Preacher Michael Stahl, who was also chosen in Russia, was confirmed by Peter Wedel, the elder in Alexanderwohl in 1865, and died in the Tschetter commune (South Da­kota) in 1900. Elias Walter, Sr. was chosen preacher here in 1889. This was the mother Bruder­hof of the [[Dariusleut|Dariusleut]], one of the three Hut­terite kinship groups in America, named after [[Walter, Darius (1835-1903)|Da­rius Walter]]. The group arrived in South Dakota 10 August 1874 and settled first at Silver Lake, where they wintered until they could occupy the 5,400-acre tract at Wolf Creek that they had purchased the previous summer. In 1930 the Bruderhof was sold and the Brethren founded the [[Wolf Creek Hutterite Colony (New Dayton, Alberta, Canada)|Wolf Creek Bruder­hof]] in [[Alberta (Canada)|Alberta]], which in 1950 numbered 76 souls, with 35 baptized members.
 
Wolf Creek, a [[Hutterian Brethren (Hutterische Brüder)|Hutterite]] Bruderhof, located on the James River, [[Hutchinson County (South Dakota, USA)|Hutchinson County]], [[South Dakota (USA)|South Dakota]], some 40 miles northeast of the first [[Bruderhof|Bruderhof]] at [[Bon Homme Hutterite Colony (Tabor, South Dakota, USA)|Bon Homme]], was founded in the spring of 1875 by preachers George Hofer and Darius Walter, who were both chosen and confirmed in Russia. Preacher Michael Stahl, who was also chosen in Russia, was confirmed by Peter Wedel, the elder in Alexanderwohl in 1865, and died in the Tschetter commune (South Da­kota) in 1900. Elias Walter, Sr. was chosen preacher here in 1889. This was the mother Bruder­hof of the [[Dariusleut|Dariusleut]], one of the three Hut­terite kinship groups in America, named after [[Walter, Darius (1835-1903)|Da­rius Walter]]. The group arrived in South Dakota 10 August 1874 and settled first at Silver Lake, where they wintered until they could occupy the 5,400-acre tract at Wolf Creek that they had purchased the previous summer. In 1930 the Bruderhof was sold and the Brethren founded the [[Wolf Creek Hutterite Colony (New Dayton, Alberta, Canada)|Wolf Creek Bruder­hof]] in [[Alberta (Canada)|Alberta]], which in 1950 numbered 76 souls, with 35 baptized members.
 
   
 
   
 
The current Wolf Creek [[Hutterian Brethren (Hutterische Brüder)|Hutterite]] Colony in Olivet, South Dakota, was founded in 1963 as a division from the [[Tschetter Hutterite Colony (Olivet, South Dakota, USA)|Tschetter Hutterite Colony]] (Olivet, South Dakota, USA).
 
The current Wolf Creek [[Hutterian Brethren (Hutterische Brüder)|Hutterite]] Colony in Olivet, South Dakota, was founded in 1963 as a division from the [[Tschetter Hutterite Colony (Olivet, South Dakota, USA)|Tschetter Hutterite Colony]] (Olivet, South Dakota, USA).
  
Daughter colonies of Wolf Creek include: [[Rustic Acres Hutterite Colony (Madison, South Dakota, USA)|Rustic Acres]] (Madison, South Dakota); and [[Spring Lake Hutterite Colony (Oldham, South Dakota, USA)|Spring Lake]] (Arlington, South Dakota).
+
Daughter colonies of Wolf Creek include: [[Rustic Acres Hutterite Colony (Madison, South Dakota, USA)|Rustic Acres Hutterite Colony]] (Madison, South Dakota); and [[Spring Lake Hutterite Colony (Oldham, South Dakota, USA)|Spring Lake Hutterite Colony]] (Arlington, South Dakota).
  
 
In 2017 the Wolf Creek Hutterite Colony was a [[Schmiedeleut|Schmiedeleut ]]Group 2 colony.  
 
In 2017 the Wolf Creek Hutterite Colony was a [[Schmiedeleut|Schmiedeleut ]]Group 2 colony.  
  
 
= Additional Information =
 
= Additional Information =
'''Location''': Olivet, South Dakota (coordinates: 43.351111, -97.619722 [43˚ 21′ 04″ N, 97˚ 37′ 11″ W])
+
== Location ==
 
+
Olivet, South Dakota (coordinates: 43.351111, -97.619722 [43˚ 21′ 04″ N, 97˚ 37′ 11″ W])
'''Address''': 42906 Colony Road, Olivet, SD 57052-6601
+
== Address ==
 
+
42906 Colony Road, Olivet, SD 57052-6601
'''Phone''': 605-925-4850
+
== Switchboard Phone ==
 +
605-925-4850
 
== Managers and Ministers ==
 
== Managers and Ministers ==
 
{| class="wikitable"
 
{| class="wikitable"

Latest revision as of 22:47, 20 November 2017

Wolf Creek, a Hutterite Bruderhof, located on the James River, Hutchinson County, South Dakota, some 40 miles northeast of the first Bruderhof at Bon Homme, was founded in the spring of 1875 by preachers George Hofer and Darius Walter, who were both chosen and confirmed in Russia. Preacher Michael Stahl, who was also chosen in Russia, was confirmed by Peter Wedel, the elder in Alexanderwohl in 1865, and died in the Tschetter commune (South Da­kota) in 1900. Elias Walter, Sr. was chosen preacher here in 1889. This was the mother Bruder­hof of the Dariusleut, one of the three Hut­terite kinship groups in America, named after Da­rius Walter. The group arrived in South Dakota 10 August 1874 and settled first at Silver Lake, where they wintered until they could occupy the 5,400-acre tract at Wolf Creek that they had purchased the previous summer. In 1930 the Bruderhof was sold and the Brethren founded the Wolf Creek Bruder­hof in Alberta, which in 1950 numbered 76 souls, with 35 baptized members.

The current Wolf Creek Hutterite Colony in Olivet, South Dakota, was founded in 1963 as a division from the Tschetter Hutterite Colony (Olivet, South Dakota, USA).

Daughter colonies of Wolf Creek include: Rustic Acres Hutterite Colony (Madison, South Dakota); and Spring Lake Hutterite Colony (Arlington, South Dakota).

In 2017 the Wolf Creek Hutterite Colony was a Schmiedeleut Group 2 colony.

Additional Information

Location

Olivet, South Dakota (coordinates: 43.351111, -97.619722 [43˚ 21′ 04″ N, 97˚ 37′ 11″ W])

Address

42906 Colony Road, Olivet, SD 57052-6601

Switchboard Phone

605-925-4850

Managers and Ministers

Manager Minister Years
Paul Decker John Decker 2006
Paul Decker John Decker 2017



Author(s) David Decker
Bert Friesen
Date Published November 2017


Cite This Article

MLA style

Decker, David and Bert Friesen. "Wolf Creek Hutterite Colony (Hutchinson County, South Dakota, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. November 2017. Web. 17 Dec 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Wolf_Creek_Hutterite_Colony_(Hutchinson_County,_South_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=155797.

APA style

Decker, David and Bert Friesen. (November 2017). Wolf Creek Hutterite Colony (Hutchinson County, South Dakota, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 17 December 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Wolf_Creek_Hutterite_Colony_(Hutchinson_County,_South_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=155797.




Hpbuttns.gif

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 970. All rights reserved.


©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.