Although many congregations within the Evangelical Mennonite Church had active women's groups, the first denominational report of women's work was a 1934 orphanage report. In 1935 the "Ladies of the conference" donated $62.90 to the conference budget. Officers were first listed in 1941. The following year the Ladies Missionary Society reported to the delegate body.
Throughout the years, Women's Auxiliary has supported with both money and handwork the Salem Children's Home, Flanagan, Illinois; Africa Inter-Mennonite Mission; Miracle Camp, Lawton, Michigan; and the Evangelical Mennonite Church's general budget. Women's Auxiliary conducts annual retreats and encourages community outreach by local groups.
To meet the challenges of the 21st century, the Evangelical Mennonite Church restructured its women's work in the 1980s, designating it "Women’s Ministry," and appointing a Director of Women’s Ministry.
|Author(s)||Rebecca L Gates|
Cite This Article
Gates, Rebecca L. "Women's Auxiliary (Evangelical Mennonite Church)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1989. Web. 22 Nov 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Women%27s_Auxiliary_(Evangelical_Mennonite_Church)&oldid=62063.
Gates, Rebecca L. (1989). Women's Auxiliary (Evangelical Mennonite Church). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 November 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Women%27s_Auxiliary_(Evangelical_Mennonite_Church)&oldid=62063.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.