Woodcrest Bruderhof (Rifton, New York, USA)

From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Woodcrest, the oldest settlement of Bruderhof Communities, is located near the junction of New York State High­ways 32 and 213, three miles west of Rifton, about 70 miles north of New York City. It was established early in the summer of 1954 on a woodland tract of 96 acres with about a dozen buildings available for use, to which were added three apartment dwellings, a nursery, and a Center House to replace the Carriage House that burned in 1957. Other buildings served as schoolhouse, a shop, sewing room, laundry, or other maintenance functions. The household, including resident guests and children, com­prised about 230 in the late 1950s, about 300 in 2017. Living expenses are met from the sale of Community Playthings (quality, educational toys made of wood, sold primarily to schools) and Rifton Equipment for the Handicapped.


Author(s) Bernhard Bargen
Emmy Maendel
Date Published August 2017


Cite This Article

MLA style

Bargen, Bernhard and Emmy Maendel. "Woodcrest Bruderhof (Rifton, New York, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. August 2017. Web. 22 Sep 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Woodcrest_Bruderhof_(Rifton,_New_York,_USA)&oldid=154120.

APA style

Bargen, Bernhard and Emmy Maendel. (August 2017). Woodcrest Bruderhof (Rifton, New York, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 September 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Woodcrest_Bruderhof_(Rifton,_New_York,_USA)&oldid=154120.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 976. All rights reserved.


©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.