From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

The York Mennonite Church (later called North Hartman Street Mennonite Church), located on North Hartman Street, was a member of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference. In the 18th century a Mennonite church and cemetery was located on Market Street near Pine Street in York. This meetinghouse, built in or before 1803, was sold in 1917. When it ceased to be used is not known. In 1903 the Fourth United Brethren Church on North Hartman Street was purchased as an outpost for the Stony Brook (then Witmer) congregation. On 28 July 1935, H. Frank Leaman was ordained as pastor-superintendent. On 11 May 1954, he and some of the membership withdrew, and Roy M. Geigley became pastor-superintendent. Lloyd R. Horst was ordained pastor 26 December 1956. The membership in 1957 was 26.

In the 1970s, with other congregations, York Mennonite withdrew from the Lancaster Conference and participated in the formation of the Conservative Mennonite Churches of York and Adams Counties, Pennsylvania. In 2013 the congregation had 25 members.

[edit] Additional Information

Address: 59 North Hartman Street, York, Pennsylvania

Phone:

Website:

Denominational Affiliations: Conservative Mennonite Churches of York and Adams Counties, Pennsylvania

[edit] Map

Map:North Hartman Street Mennonite Church (York, Pennsylvania, USA)


Author(s) Ira D Landis
Sam Steiner
Date Published June 2014


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Landis, Ira D and Sam Steiner. "North Hartman Street Mennonite Church (York, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. June 2014. Web. 23 Oct 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=North_Hartman_Street_Mennonite_Church_(York,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=122919.

APA style

Landis, Ira D and Sam Steiner. (June 2014). North Hartman Street Mennonite Church (York, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 October 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=North_Hartman_Street_Mennonite_Church_(York,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=122919.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1008. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.