Henry Yother (1810-1900), a pioneer Mennonite (Mennonite Church [MC] ) bishop, was born near Mt. Pleasant, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, a great-grandson of Hans and Anna Yoder, immigrants from Europe in 1720. In 1845 he was ordained a minister, and in 1857 bishop. He was associated with Bishop John D. Overholt (1797-1878) and minister Martin Loucks (1798-1869), serving at the Pennsville and Stonerville meetinghouses near Scottdale, Pennsylvania. He preached in both English and German. On 27 May 1862, at the Oberholtzer meetinghouse in Mahoning County near Columbiana, Ohio, he preached the first English sermon in that congregation at the funeral of Lewis Landis. In 1864 he moved to Cullom in Livingston County, Illinois, and in 1871 to Gage County, Nebraska. In Nebraska he was not officially connected with a Mennonite congregation, but until his death in 1900 he traveled among large and small congregations of Mennonite pioneers of Kansas, Nebraska, western Missouri, and Iowa, conducting baptismal and communion services, and was instrumental in ordaining ministers for smaller congregations. The groups he served were Mennonites (MC), Amish Mennonites, and Russian Mennonites. The Evangelizing Committee of Elkhart, Indiana, arranged for him to spend time traveling among the churches and scattered members, serving their spiritual needs. He was instrumental in bringing about the organization of the Kansas-Nebraska Mennonite Conference.
Yoder, Edward. "Henry Yother (1810-1900), Mennonite Preacher and Bishop." Mennonite Historical Bulletin (June 1944).
|Author(s)||Wilmer D Swope|
Cite This Article
Swope, Wilmer D. "Yother, Henry (1810-1900)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 24 May 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Yother,_Henry_(1810-1900)&oldid=62129.
Swope, Wilmer D. (1959). Yother, Henry (1810-1900). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Yother,_Henry_(1810-1900)&oldid=62129.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.