From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130820)
(CSV import - 20130823)
 
Line 1: Line 1:
The first official organ of the Defenseless Mennonite Conference (later Evangelical Mennonite and now [[Fellowship of Evangelical Churches|Fellowship of Evangelical Churches]]) was a German paper, [[Heilsbote (Periodical)|&lt;em&gt;Heilsbote&lt;/em&gt;]], begun in 1898. In the same year an English monthly was begun, edited and printed by D. N. Claudon, and called <em>Zion's Call</em>, for many years published in the interests of the [[Salem Children's Home (Flanagan, Illinois, USA)|Salem Orphanage]]. In 1913 it was adopted as the official organ. At first it was a 4-page monthly, and for several years, up to about 1918, in pamphlet form of 32 pages. In 1920 authorization was granted to publish <em>Zion's Call</em> with [[Good Tidings (Evangelical Mennonite Brethren)|&lt;em&gt;Good Tidings&lt;/em&gt;]] under the name of <em>Zion's Tidings</em>. <em>Good Tidings</em> had been a publication of the [[Mennonite Brethren in Christ|Mennonite Brethren in Christ]] Church. In 1953 <em>Zion's Tidings</em> and [[Gospel Tidings (Periodical)|&lt;em&gt;Gospel Tidings&lt;/em&gt;]], a publication of the Evangelical Mennonite Brethren (now [[Fellowship of Evangelical Bible Churches|Fellowship of Evangelical Bible Churches]]) were merged under the name <em>The Evangelical Mennonite</em>, the present name. Others who have served as editor were Ben Rupp, Aaron Sauder, and E. E. Rupp, until 1920. Then Amos Oyer was editor for a few years with G. P. Schultz as assistant, and E. E. Zimmer man as managing editor. About 1924 G. P. Schultz assumed the entire responsibility for printing. Following his resignation H. E. Bertsche assumed the duties. From ca. 1942 E. G. Steiner assumed the work as editor. While Bertsche was editor the paper was changed from an 8-page monthly to a 12-page and later to a 16-page. After the merger in 1953 E. G. Steiner was editor, C. A. Classen (from the Evangelical Mennonite Brethren Conference) associate editor, and E. E. Zimmerman executive or general manager (since 1933). In 1955 there were 24 pages.
+
The first official organ of the Defenseless Mennonite Conference (later Evangelical Mennonite and now [[Fellowship of Evangelical Churches|Fellowship of Evangelical Churches]]) was a German paper, [[Heilsbote (Periodical)|<em>Heilsbote</em>]], begun in 1898. In the same year an English monthly was begun, edited and printed by D. N. Claudon, and called <em>Zion's Call</em>, for many years published in the interests of the [[Salem Children's Home (Flanagan, Illinois, USA)|Salem Orphanage]]. In 1913 it was adopted as the official organ. At first it was a 4-page monthly, and for several years, up to about 1918, in pamphlet form of 32 pages. In 1920 authorization was granted to publish <em>Zion's Call</em> with [[Good Tidings (Evangelical Mennonite Brethren)|<em>Good Tidings</em>]] under the name of <em>Zion's Tidings</em>. <em>Good Tidings</em> had been a publication of the [[Mennonite Brethren in Christ|Mennonite Brethren in Christ]] Church. In 1953 <em>Zion's Tidings</em> and [[Gospel Tidings (Periodical)|<em>Gospel Tidings</em>]], a publication of the Evangelical Mennonite Brethren (now [[Fellowship of Evangelical Bible Churches|Fellowship of Evangelical Bible Churches]]) were merged under the name <em>The Evangelical Mennonite</em>, the present name. Others who have served as editor were Ben Rupp, Aaron Sauder, and E. E. Rupp, until 1920. Then Amos Oyer was editor for a few years with G. P. Schultz as assistant, and E. E. Zimmer man as managing editor. About 1924 G. P. Schultz assumed the entire responsibility for printing. Following his resignation H. E. Bertsche assumed the duties. From ca. 1942 E. G. Steiner assumed the work as editor. While Bertsche was editor the paper was changed from an 8-page monthly to a 12-page and later to a 16-page. After the merger in 1953 E. G. Steiner was editor, C. A. Classen (from the Evangelical Mennonite Brethren Conference) associate editor, and E. E. Zimmerman executive or general manager (since 1933). In 1955 there were 24 pages.
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 1033|date=1959|a1_last=Zimmerman|a1_first=E. E|a2_last= |a2_first= }}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 1033|date=1959|a1_last=Zimmerman|a1_first=E. E|a2_last= |a2_first= }}

Latest revision as of 14:25, 23 August 2013

The first official organ of the Defenseless Mennonite Conference (later Evangelical Mennonite and now Fellowship of Evangelical Churches) was a German paper, Heilsbote, begun in 1898. In the same year an English monthly was begun, edited and printed by D. N. Claudon, and called Zion's Call, for many years published in the interests of the Salem Orphanage. In 1913 it was adopted as the official organ. At first it was a 4-page monthly, and for several years, up to about 1918, in pamphlet form of 32 pages. In 1920 authorization was granted to publish Zion's Call with Good Tidings under the name of Zion's Tidings. Good Tidings had been a publication of the Mennonite Brethren in Christ Church. In 1953 Zion's Tidings and Gospel Tidings, a publication of the Evangelical Mennonite Brethren (now Fellowship of Evangelical Bible Churches) were merged under the name The Evangelical Mennonite, the present name. Others who have served as editor were Ben Rupp, Aaron Sauder, and E. E. Rupp, until 1920. Then Amos Oyer was editor for a few years with G. P. Schultz as assistant, and E. E. Zimmer man as managing editor. About 1924 G. P. Schultz assumed the entire responsibility for printing. Following his resignation H. E. Bertsche assumed the duties. From ca. 1942 E. G. Steiner assumed the work as editor. While Bertsche was editor the paper was changed from an 8-page monthly to a 12-page and later to a 16-page. After the merger in 1953 E. G. Steiner was editor, C. A. Classen (from the Evangelical Mennonite Brethren Conference) associate editor, and E. E. Zimmerman executive or general manager (since 1933). In 1955 there were 24 pages.


Author(s) E. E Zimmerman
Date Published 1959


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Zimmerman, E. E. "Zion's Call (Periodical)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 19 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Zion%27s_Call_(Periodical)&oldid=93996.

APA style

Zimmerman, E. E. (1959). Zion's Call (Periodical). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Zion%27s_Call_(Periodical)&oldid=93996.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1033. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.