From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130816)
 
(CSV import - 20130820)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
Zwaagwesteinde, a village in the Dutch province of [[Friesland (Netherlands)|Friesland]] (coordinates: 53°15′19 N, 6° 2' E). Mennonites living here in the 17th and 18th centuries belonged to the [[Kollumerzwaag (Friesland, Netherlands)|Kollumerzwaag]] congregation. As more and more of the members moved to Zwaagwesteinde and because the meetinghouse at Kollumerzwaag was dilapidated, a new meetinghouse was built at Zwaagwesteinde, dedicated on 5 May 1816. The congregation was then generally called Zwaagwesteinde and Kollumerzwaag, or simply Zwaagwesteinde. After the death of the (untrained) preacher A. H. Bosma in 1838 the pulpit remained vacant, and in 1844 the few members who were left joined the neighboring [[Dantumawoude (Friesland, Netherlands)|Dantumawoude]] congregation. In 1897 S. D. A. Wartena, the pastor of [[Veenwouden (Friesland, Netherlands)|Veenwouden]], started catechetical instruction here, and in 1904 the 47 Mennonites living at Zwaagwesteinde, members of Veenwouden and [[Dantumawoude (Friesland, Netherlands)|Dantumawoude]], organized a Kring (circle), which built a meetinghouse in the same year. Services were held at Zwaagwesteinde by the pastors of Veenwouden and Dantumawoude and others. In 1949 the Kring Zwaagwesteinde became an independent congregation. The membership in 1958 was 66, served by the pastor of Veenwouden. Church activities include a ladies' circle, youth group 18-25, Sunday school for children, and a choir.
 
Zwaagwesteinde, a village in the Dutch province of [[Friesland (Netherlands)|Friesland]] (coordinates: 53°15′19 N, 6° 2' E). Mennonites living here in the 17th and 18th centuries belonged to the [[Kollumerzwaag (Friesland, Netherlands)|Kollumerzwaag]] congregation. As more and more of the members moved to Zwaagwesteinde and because the meetinghouse at Kollumerzwaag was dilapidated, a new meetinghouse was built at Zwaagwesteinde, dedicated on 5 May 1816. The congregation was then generally called Zwaagwesteinde and Kollumerzwaag, or simply Zwaagwesteinde. After the death of the (untrained) preacher A. H. Bosma in 1838 the pulpit remained vacant, and in 1844 the few members who were left joined the neighboring [[Dantumawoude (Friesland, Netherlands)|Dantumawoude]] congregation. In 1897 S. D. A. Wartena, the pastor of [[Veenwouden (Friesland, Netherlands)|Veenwouden]], started catechetical instruction here, and in 1904 the 47 Mennonites living at Zwaagwesteinde, members of Veenwouden and [[Dantumawoude (Friesland, Netherlands)|Dantumawoude]], organized a Kring (circle), which built a meetinghouse in the same year. Services were held at Zwaagwesteinde by the pastors of Veenwouden and Dantumawoude and others. In 1949 the Kring Zwaagwesteinde became an independent congregation. The membership in 1958 was 66, served by the pastor of Veenwouden. Church activities include a ladies' circle, youth group 18-25, Sunday school for children, and a choir.
 
 
 
= Bibliography =
 
= Bibliography =
<em>Doopsgezinde Bijdragen</em> (1903): 164-70, 187; (1905): 30, 192 f., 199.
+
<em>Doopsgezinde Bijdragen</em> (1903): 164-70, 187; (1905): 30, 192 f., 199.
  
 
<em>Doopsgezind Jaarboekje</em> (1949): 34.
 
<em>Doopsgezind Jaarboekje</em> (1949): 34.
 
 
  
 
= Maps =
 
= Maps =
 
[[Map:Zwaagwesteinde (Friesland, Netherlands)|Map:Zwaagwesteinde (Friesland, Netherlands)]]
 
[[Map:Zwaagwesteinde (Friesland, Netherlands)|Map:Zwaagwesteinde (Friesland, Netherlands)]]
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 1048|date=1959|a1_last=van der Zijpp|a1_first=Nanne|a2_last= |a2_first= }}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 1048|date=1959|a1_last=van der Zijpp|a1_first=Nanne|a2_last= |a2_first= }}

Revision as of 19:06, 20 August 2013

Zwaagwesteinde, a village in the Dutch province of Friesland (coordinates: 53°15′19 N, 6° 2' E). Mennonites living here in the 17th and 18th centuries belonged to the Kollumerzwaag congregation. As more and more of the members moved to Zwaagwesteinde and because the meetinghouse at Kollumerzwaag was dilapidated, a new meetinghouse was built at Zwaagwesteinde, dedicated on 5 May 1816. The congregation was then generally called Zwaagwesteinde and Kollumerzwaag, or simply Zwaagwesteinde. After the death of the (untrained) preacher A. H. Bosma in 1838 the pulpit remained vacant, and in 1844 the few members who were left joined the neighboring Dantumawoude congregation. In 1897 S. D. A. Wartena, the pastor of Veenwouden, started catechetical instruction here, and in 1904 the 47 Mennonites living at Zwaagwesteinde, members of Veenwouden and Dantumawoude, organized a Kring (circle), which built a meetinghouse in the same year. Services were held at Zwaagwesteinde by the pastors of Veenwouden and Dantumawoude and others. In 1949 the Kring Zwaagwesteinde became an independent congregation. The membership in 1958 was 66, served by the pastor of Veenwouden. Church activities include a ladies' circle, youth group 18-25, Sunday school for children, and a choir.

Bibliography

Doopsgezinde Bijdragen (1903): 164-70, 187; (1905): 30, 192 f., 199.

Doopsgezind Jaarboekje (1949): 34.

Maps

Map:Zwaagwesteinde (Friesland, Netherlands)


Author(s) Nanne van der Zijpp
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

van der Zijpp, Nanne. "Zwaagwesteinde (Friesland, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 23 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Zwaagwesteinde_(Friesland,_Netherlands)&oldid=79103.

APA style

van der Zijpp, Nanne. (1959). Zwaagwesteinde (Friesland, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Zwaagwesteinde_(Friesland,_Netherlands)&oldid=79103.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1048. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.