Bethel Mennonite Church (Gladys, Virginia, USA)

From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Bethel Mennonite Church (formerly Gladys Conservative Amish Mennonite Church, then Bethel Conservative Mennonite Church) is located at two miles north of Gladys, Virginia, and 18 miles (30 km) south of Lynchburg, Virginia. The first families moved into the community in 1944 (D. K. Yoder and C. L. Ressler), and C. L. Ressler was the minister for the first seven years when meetings were held in his home. The meetinghouse was built in 1953. In 1959 the membership was 22, with Milton A. Hostedler as pastor. Initially it was part of the Conservative Mennonite Conference.

Bethel Mennonite Church became an unaffiliated Mennonite congregation between 1970 and 1975; it uses the Christian Fundamentals as its statement of faith.

In 2018 the congregation was an unaffiliated Mennonite congregation with a membership of 99. In 2014 membership was 129. The church was served by Bishop Leon Yoder, Ministers Jerrill Schrock, Sam Troyer, and Galen Yoder, and Deacon Rich Bowman.

Additional Information

Address: 5946 Brookneal Highway, Gladys, VA 24554-2609

Phone: 434-283-5462

Website: https://bmcgladys.com/

Maps

Map:Bethel Mennonite Church (Gladys, Virginia)


Author(s) Harold S. Bender
C. L. Ressler
Sam Steiner
Date Published April 2019



Cite This Article

MLA style

Bender, Harold S., C. L. Ressler and Sam Steiner. "Bethel Mennonite Church (Gladys, Virginia, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. April 2019. Web. 27 May 2019. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethel_Mennonite_Church_(Gladys,_Virginia,_USA)&oldid=163830.

APA style

Bender, Harold S., C. L. Ressler and Sam Steiner. (April 2019). Bethel Mennonite Church (Gladys, Virginia, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 May 2019, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethel_Mennonite_Church_(Gladys,_Virginia,_USA)&oldid=163830.




Hpbuttns.png

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 522, v. 4, p. 1065. All rights reserved.


©1996-2019 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.