Community Fellowship Church (Newton, Manitoba, Canada)
The Newton Siding Mennonite Brethren Church (later known as Newton Mennonite Brethren Church) began services in 1926, and formally organized on 25 November 1928 with 24 members. The congregation began meeting in a school, and in 1938, the decision was made to build a church three miles away from Newton. It was dedicated in September 1939. In 1940, the church was burned down and they were given permission to meet in the Salem United Church if they conducted the services in English. In the fall of 1940, the congregation decided to rebuild part of the church. The basement of the church was used for services until 1946 when the superstructure was rebuilt. In 1980, they dedicated another new building and the name changed to Community Fellowship Church, to convey openness to the community.
The congregation celebrated its 75th anniversary on 26-27 July 2003.
Mennonite Brethren Herald (27 May 27): 41; (19 November 1999); (3 November 2000); (3 October 2003); (December 2011).
Address: Box 1035, Newton, MB R0H 0X0; the church is located 4 km south of Newton.
General Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches
Newton Community Fellowship Ministers
|D. K. Janzen||1946|
|A. A. Loewen||1946-1955|
|David A. Dyck||1955-1970|
|Neil Block (interim)||2000-2003|
Newton Community Fellowship Membership
|Author(s)||Herman, Marlene Epp Neufeld|
|Richard D. Thiessen|
|Date Published||March 2012|
Cite This Article
Neufeld, Herman, Marlene Epp and Richard D. Thiessen. "Community Fellowship Church (Newton, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 2012. Web. 19 Aug 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Community_Fellowship_Church_(Newton,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=93085.
Neufeld, Herman, Marlene Epp and Richard D. Thiessen. (March 2012). Community Fellowship Church (Newton, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 August 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Community_Fellowship_Church_(Newton,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=93085.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 868. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.