Duchess Mennonite Church (Duchess, Alberta, Canada)
Duchess Mennonite Church (Northwest Mennonite Conference) began services in 1916, and formally organized in 1917 by Bishop N. B. Stauffer. The first building was occupied in 1924, with subsequent building programs in 1948 and 1980. Prior to construction of the church building, services were held in a schoolhouse. J. S. Ramer is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through immigration from the the United States, primarily from Pennsylvania.
The first settler in the area was S. B. Ramer, who came in 1915. J. H. Brubaker and family came in 1916. Ordained leaders prior to 1950 included J. S. Ramer, H. B. Ramer, C. J. Ramer, Paul Martin, Chris Snyder, Eli Kauffman, David Ramer and Marlin Brubaker.
Mennonite Reporter (21 July 1980): 4.
Stauffer, Ezra. History of the Alberta-Saskatchewan Mennonite Conference. The Conference, 1960: 5.
Address: P. O. Box 298, Duchess, AB T0J 0Z0
Website: Duchess Mennonite Church
Northwest Mennonite Conference (1917-present)
Mennonite Church (MC) (1917-1999)
Duchess Mennonite Church Membership
|Date Published||May 1989|
Cite This Article
Stauffer, Ezra and Marlene Epp. "Duchess Mennonite Church (Duchess, Alberta, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. May 1989. Web. 25 May 2019. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Duchess_Mennonite_Church_(Duchess,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=141653.
Stauffer, Ezra and Marlene Epp. (May 1989). Duchess Mennonite Church (Duchess, Alberta, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2019, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Duchess_Mennonite_Church_(Duchess,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=141653.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 105. All rights reserved.
©1996-2019 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.