Engel (Engle, Angle) family
Engel is a Swiss family name represented in Europe and North America by a number of Mennonite families. Significant in Mennonite history was Ulrich Engel, who emigrated from the Canton of Basel to Pennsylvania in 1754. His son Jacob (Yokeli) became the chief founder of the Brethren in Christ (River Brethren). Another immigrant, Paul Engel, was in Germantown, Pa. before 1698, and is believed to have been a Mennonite. As early as the 17th century (after 1664) the name Engel appears among the Mennonites in the Palatinate; in the 18th century there were four branches of the Engel family in Sembach, descended from four sons of the first Engel settler's son and his wife, who was a Würtz. In 1936 there was still one Engel left in the Sembach congregation. In the 18th century there was a minister named Klaus Engel at Montreux near Belfort in Alsace.
As early as 1831 an Alsatian named John Engel settled near Metamora, Illinois. He was followed two years later by Bishop Christian Engel, his father, who had been ordained in Europe, and the Partridge congregation (now Metamora) was organized. Christian died in 1838, but in 1835 his son Joseph Engel (d. 1852), also ordained a bishop in Europe, located in Illinois and served the Partridge congregation. Christian and Joseph Engel were respectively the first and second Amish Mennonite bishops.
Engle, Morris. The Engle History and Family Records ... Hummelstown, Pa., 1927.
|Author(s)||John C Wenger|
Cite This Article
Wenger, John C. "Engel (Engle, Angle) family." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 21 Nov 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Engel_(Engle,_Angle)_family&oldid=119883.
Wenger, John C. (1956). Engel (Engle, Angle) family. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 November 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Engel_(Engle,_Angle)_family&oldid=119883.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 214. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.