Falls Mennonite Church (Sanborn, New York, USA)
Falls Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), now extinct, was located in Niagara County, New York, near Sanborn village about 10 miles (16 km) east of Niagara Falls. According to D. K. Cassel, Hans Witmer and Abraham Winner came here from Lancaster about 1810. David Habecker (1791-1889), who came from Pennsylvania in 1832 and was ordained in 1834, was the only minister. A meetinghouse on his property came into use soon after settlement. J. Treichler (died 1897) was the first deacon. This congregation never was strong. Regular communion services continued until 1870, and preaching appointments were recorded until 1884. With Jacob Krehbiel active in the neighboring Clarence community for the General Conference group and the inactivity of the aged Habecker, the scattered members lost interest in the Falls congregation. On the flyleaf of Habecker's Bible is found the statement that he had read it more than 50 times. He studied it with the aid of a Greek lexicon.
Cassel, Daniel Kolb. Geschichte der Mennoniten, von Menno Simons' Austritt aus der Kömisch-Katholischen Kirche in 1536 bis zu deren Auswanderung nach Amerika in 1683. Mehr speciell ihre Ansiedlung und Ausbreitung in Amerika. Enthaltend: Kurze Skizzen der einzelnen Gemeinden mit den Namen ihrer Prediger vom Jahre 1683 bis zur gegenwärtigen Zeit. Philadelphia: J. Kohler, 1890: 221.
|Author(s)||Joseph C Fretz|
Cite This Article
Fretz, Joseph C. "Falls Mennonite Church (Sanborn, New York, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 19 Sep 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Falls_Mennonite_Church_(Sanborn,_New_York,_USA)&oldid=80718.
Fretz, Joseph C. (1956). Falls Mennonite Church (Sanborn, New York, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 September 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Falls_Mennonite_Church_(Sanborn,_New_York,_USA)&oldid=80718.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, pp. 292-293. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.