Funck, Heinrich (d. 1760)
Heinrich Funck (d. 1760), a European Mennonite settler who located along the Indian Creek in what is now Franconia Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, about 30 miles (50 km) north of Philadelphia. He married Anne, daughter of immigrant Christian Meyer and they became the parents of ten children, including Preacher Henry Funck and Bishop Christian Funk (1731-1811), the latter being the founder of the Funkites, who withdrew from the Franconia Conference in 1778 because they favored recognizing the independence of the American Colonies before the end of the Revolutionary War. Funck was a farmer, miller, and bishop. He wrote two books, Ein Spiegel der Tauffe (Mirror of Baptism) in 1744, and Eine Restitution, Oder eine Erklaerung einiger Haupt-puncten des Gesetzes (Restitution, or an Explanation of Several Principal Points of the Law), the latter being left as an unpublished manuscript at his death in 1760; his children arranged for its publication in 1763. Funck collaborated in sponsoring the publication of the 1748 German Martyrs' Mirror, and he and Dielman Kolb read the proofs page by page as they came off the Ephrata presses. Funck was the most important writer among the Mennonites in Colonial America. His grave is lost, but it is known that he was intimately associated with both the Salford and Franconia congregations of the Franconia Conference.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. II, 17.
|Author(s)||John C Wenger|
Cite This Article
Wenger, John C. "Funck, Heinrich (d. 1760)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 4 Aug 2020. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Funck,_Heinrich_(d._1760)&oldid=145204.
Wenger, John C. (1956). Funck, Heinrich (d. 1760). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 4 August 2020, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Funck,_Heinrich_(d._1760)&oldid=145204.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 418. All rights reserved.
©1996-2020 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.