Groff, Hans (1661-1746)
Hans Groff (Graf), the pioneer of 1696, settled first at Paradise and later in Groffdale, West Earl Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, on 1,500 acres. His first son, Jacob, remained in Strasburg and the rest on the paternal Groffdale acres. The Groffdale church was built on this farm in 1755, the center of a thriving congregation. Hans's sons Peter and David, his son-in-law Henry Landis, together with Hans's brother Martin (d. 1760) as minister, formed the nucleus of this Mennonite community. The first-known bishop of this congregation, Christian Burkholder, married a granddaughter of Hans Groff. Hans and his son David furnished the meeting place for the congregation in the early days in their homes. Many of his descendants with various names have served the church. Abraham Grove of Markham, Ontario (1770-1836), minister here and a molder, was a descendant.
|Author(s)||Ira D Landis|
Cite This Article
Landis, Ira D. "Groff, Hans (1661-1746)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 25 Jan 2020. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Groff,_Hans_(1661-1746)&oldid=81464.
Landis, Ira D. (1956). Groff, Hans (1661-1746). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 January 2020, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Groff,_Hans_(1661-1746)&oldid=81464.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 587. All rights reserved.
©1996-2020 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.