Gross, Veronika (16th century)
Vernonika Gross (Albrechtin), wife of Jakob Gross and like him a native of Waldshut. She was one of the first women to join the Anabaptist movement. She was baptized in 1525 by a preacher whom she called Wilhelm (Reublin?) in her cross-examination. In Augsburg she and Anna Salminger contributed to the spread and establishment of the Anabaptist congregation by their influence on the women. For a while she and her husband lived (1526) in the home of Eitelhans Langenmantel. After the capture of her husband (15 September 1527) she sought to provide for herself by sewing and spinning. But she must have found it difficult to earn a living, for she sold two of her husband's books, the Prophets—probably the Worms translation—for four Batzen, and a small Testament for 13 Kreuzer. She attended the meetings faithfully, and was one of the 88 participants in the Easter service (12 April 1528) held in the home of the sculptor Doucher, which was so abruptly ended by the capture of those present. In the cross-examination she stated that she had joined the Anabaptists "since she was convinced that this was the right way." Because she refused to recant she was driven out of the city with lashes on 30 April.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: II, 188.
Roth, Friedrich. Augsburgs Reformationsgeschichte. München: Theodor Ackermann, 1901.
Roth, Friedrich. Zeitschrift des Historischen Vereins für Schwaben und Neuburg 28 (1901): 6 ff.
Cite This Article
Hege, Christian. "Gross, Veronika (16th century)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 14 Oct 2019. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Gross,_Veronika_(16th_century)&oldid=146451.
Hege, Christian. (1956). Gross, Veronika (16th century). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 14 October 2019, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Gross,_Veronika_(16th_century)&oldid=146451.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 599. All rights reserved.
©1996-2019 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.