Harrow Mennonite Church (Harrow, Ontario, Canada)
The congregation began services ca. 1929, and formally organized in 1953. The first building was occupied in 1951 with a subsequent building program in 1996. Gerhard Papke is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through a division from the Leamington United Mennonite church due to distance of travel for Harrow area members.
The language of worship is English; language transition from German occurred in the 1960s. In the 1980s the congregation maintained a small amount of German in services, mostly songs.
The church was initially known as Harrow United Mennonite Church.
Mennonite Reporter (27 May 1985): 15; (4 September 1995): 11; (3 February 1997): 18.
Memories: Sixty Years of Mennonite Life in Essex and Kent Counties, 1925-1985. Leamington, 1985, 78 pp.
Address: R.R. #2, 3167 Walker Road, Harrow, ON N0R 1G0
Website: Harrow Mennonite Church
Conference of United Mennonite Churches in Ontario (1953-1988)
Mennonite Church Eastern Canada (1988-present)
General Conference Mennonite Church (1953-1999)
Harrow Mennonite Church Membership
|Date Published||January 1989|
Cite This Article
Epp, Marlene. "Harrow Mennonite Church (Harrow, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. January 1989. Web. 22 Sep 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Harrow_Mennonite_Church_(Harrow,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=103470.
Epp, Marlene. (January 1989). Harrow Mennonite Church (Harrow, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 September 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Harrow_Mennonite_Church_(Harrow,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=103470.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.