Harrow Mennonite Church (Harrow, Ontario, Canada)
R.R. 2, 3167 Walker Rd., Harrow, ON, N0R 1G0. (519) 738-2148. Located Lot 9, Concession 3, Colchester South Township. Pastor Greg Yantzi served in 2002 as congregational leader. In 1965 there were 59 members; in 1975, 47; in 1985, 70; in 1995, 56; in 2000, 81. The congregation affiliated with the Conference of United Mennonite Churches in Ontario (1953-1988), the Conference of Mennonites in Canada / Mennonite Church Canada (1953-), the General Conference Mennonite Church (1953-1999) and Mennonite Church Eastern Canada (1988-). The language of worship is English; language transition from German occurred in the 1960s.
The congregation began services ca. 1929, and formally organized in 1953. The first building was occupied in 1951 with a subsequent building program in 1996. Gerhard Papke is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through a division from the Leamington United Mennonite church due to distance of travel for Harrow area members. In the 1980s the congregation maintained a small amount of German in services, mostly songs.
Mennonite Reporter (27 May 1985): 15; (4 September 1995): 11; (3 February 1997): 18.
Memories: Sixty Years of Mennonite Life in Essex and Kent Counties, 1925-1985. Leamington, 1985, 78 pp.
|Date Published||January 1989|
Cite This Article
Epp, Marlene. "Harrow Mennonite Church (Harrow, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. January 1989. Web. 25 Sep 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Harrow_Mennonite_Church_(Harrow,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=56896.
Epp, Marlene. (January 1989). Harrow Mennonite Church (Harrow, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 September 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Harrow_Mennonite_Church_(Harrow,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=56896.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.