Heerlen (Limburg, Netherlands)
Heerlen, a town in the Dutch province of Limburg (coordinates: 50.88314, 5.98105 [50° 52′ 59″ N, 5° 58′ 51″ E]), center of the important coal-mining district, seat of the Mennonite congregation of southern Limburg. Since 1926, through the activity of A. E. Dinger and J. L. Swart-Posthumus Meijes, monthly services have been held in a hall at Treebeek near Heerlen, and a congregation was founded on 19 November 1934. In 1936 S. M. A. Daalder became the pastor of the young congregation, serving at the same time at Eindhoven. In 1939 the congregation obtained a fine meetinghouse, dedicated on 19 November 1939, adorned with a beautiful stained glass window by the artist C. Baljet.
The membership, numbering about 80 when the congregation was founded, had increased to 160 by 1954; the following pastors have served: S. M. A. Daalder 1936-42, Th. van Veen 1942-47, P. van der Meulen 1947-49, G. A. Maathuis 1949- . Besides in Heerlen services are held at Geleen. Activities: West-Hill Sunday school for children at Heerlen, Geleen, and Treebeek; ladies' circles at Heerlen and Treebeek.
Reliwiki. "Heerlen, Laan van Hovell tot Westerflier 25 - Doopsgezinde Kerk." 3 June 2014. Web. 14 October 2014. http://reliwiki.nl/index.php/Heerlen,_Laan_van_Hovell_tot_Westerflier_25_-_Doopsgezinde_Kerk.
Congregation: Doopsgezinde Gemeente Zuid-Limburg
Address: Laan van Hövell tot Westerflier 35, 6411 EW, Heerlen, Netherlands
Church website: Doopsgezinde Gemeente Zuid-Limburg
|Author(s)||Nanne van der Zijpp|
Cite This Article
Zijpp, Nanne van der. "Heerlen (Limburg, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 11 Dec 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Heerlen_(Limburg,_Netherlands)&oldid=126225.
Zijpp, Nanne van der. (1956). Heerlen (Limburg, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 11 December 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Heerlen_(Limburg,_Netherlands)&oldid=126225.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 686. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.