Lakeview Mennonite Church (Susquehanna, Pennsylvania, USA)
Lakeview Mennonite Church, Susquehanna, Pennsylvania, USA was started in the late 1950s by Mennonite farmers moving to northern Pennsylvania in search of affordable dairy farms and a place to expand the mission of the Franconia Mennonite Conference. It organized as an independent congregation in 1963, and was first known as the Gelatt Mennonite Church, and for many years as Lake View Mennonite Church.
In January 2016, the Lakeview congregation made the decision to become "congregationally led." It could no longer support a full time pastor and the Franconia Mennonite Conference was unable to supply a part time pastor. An ordained pastor preached twice a month and provided pastoral counseling when needed. A congregational member with a theology degree preached one Sunday a month, and remaining Sundays were filled by guest speakers or someone from within the congregation.
Mennonite Church USA. "Directory." Web. 6 September 2016. http://mennoniteusa.org/who-we-are/directory/. Also information from previous print editions.
Warren, Sharon. "Article in Mennonite Encyclopedia." Personal email (8 September 2016).
Address: 1323 Lakeview Road, Susquehanna Pennsylvania 18847
Lakeview Mennonite Church Pastoral Leaders
|Jonas L. Mininger||1961-1985|
|William K. Wilson||1985-1997|
|R. Blaine Detwiler||1997-2012|
|Lay leadership||June 2016-present|
Lakeview Mennonite Church Membership
|Date Published||September 2016|
Cite This Article
Steiner, Sam. "Lakeview Mennonite Church (Susquehanna, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. September 2016. Web. 23 Jul 2019. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lakeview_Mennonite_Church_(Susquehanna,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=135913.
Steiner, Sam. (September 2016). Lakeview Mennonite Church (Susquehanna, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 July 2019, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lakeview_Mennonite_Church_(Susquehanna,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=135913.
©1996-2019 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.