Mennonite Home (Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA)
Mennonite Home (Mennonite Church) is a home for the aged in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Through the vision of the Sunday School Mission, the foresight of Abram B. Eshleman of Millersville, and the gift of a site by John L. Landis, the Mennonite Home, 1520 Harrisburg Pike, Lancaster, PA, was opened on 1 April 1905. Jacob H. Mellinger (1866-1934) was the first steward. John L. Landis (1834-1911) donated two adjoining farms, which made it possible for the Home to operate on a self-supporting basis ever since. Abram K. Diener (1842-1911) was the second steward 1906-1908, followed by Jacob Benner (1851-1917) until 1911. Tobias E. Moyer (1863-1933) served until his death, followed by John N. Wissler until 1937. Phares N. Frank (1881-1944) served until his death, followed by Jacob Thomas for 16 months and Jacob D. Mellinger from 1946 through time of writing in 1957. The board of trustees, headed by Bishop Jacob T. Harnish, was composed mostly of deacons. Many additions have been made to the building, so that the 1957 residential capacity was 135, of whom 123 were aged guests.
By 2006 the total capacity at Mennonite Home was 203 Health Care beds and 264 Personal Care beds.
|Author(s)||Ira D Landis|
Cite This Article
Landis, Ira D. "Mennonite Home (Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 19 Oct 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonite_Home_(Lancaster,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=89747.
Landis, Ira D. (1957). Mennonite Home (Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 October 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonite_Home_(Lancaster,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=89747.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 628. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.