Pine Grove Mennonite Church (Catlett, Virginia, USA)
The Pine Grove Beachy Amish Church was established in 1955 when the local Old Order Amish bishop, Daniel J. Nissley, purchased a truck. A segment of the Amish district followed his lead. Uria Shetler was ordained as a minister on 18 November 1956 to assist, but soon moved to a new settlement in Ohio. Alvin D. Byler was ordained on 29 April 1961, but later was part of the division that led to formation of the Faith Christian Fellowship. Issues that led to division included use of German in worship, lack of cooperation with other churches, and some doctrinal issues around the nature of baptism.
After the division, Pine Grove the church was removed from official fellowship in the Beachy constituency and became a fringe congregation. Two patriarchal lines stayed with Pine Grove, with Daniel J. Nissley as bishop. Unofficial relationships with the Beachy Amish church continued, as the church had young people involved in Calvary Bible School, AMA missions and other voluntary service units such as Mountain View Nursing Home and Faith Mission Home.
At some point its name became Pine Grove Mennonite Church. The status of this congregation in 2018 is unclear.
Anderson, Cory. The Amish-Mennonites of North America: a portrait of our people. Medina, New York: Ridgeway Publishing, 2012: 59.
Anderson, Cory Alexander. "The Diffusion of Beachy Amish Mennonite Congregations in the US South: A Regional Chronicle and Spatial Analysis." Unpublished paper, 2006: 19-20. Web. 12 April 2019. http://www.beachyam.org/librarybooks/Anderson(2006)_Diffusion.pdf.
Yoder, Elmer S. The Beachy Amish Mennonite Fellowship Churches. Diakonia Ministries, Hartville, Ohio, Schlabach Printers, Sugarcreek, Ohio, 1987: 365-366.
Address: 3691 Dumfries Road, Catlett, Virginia
Denominational Affiliations: Unaffiliated Mennonite congregation
Ordained Pastors at Pine Grove Mennonite Church
|Daniel J. Nissley (Bishop)||1955-?|
|Alvin D. Byler||1961-1963|
Original Mennonite Encyclopedia Article
By Harold S. Bender. Copied by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1071. All rights reserved.
Catlett Beachy Amish Church, located 2½ miles (4 km.) northwest of Catlett in Fauquier County, Virginia, was organized in 1950. Its meetinghouse was built in 1951. In 1958 it had 42 members, with Daniel J. Nissley as bishop-pastor.
|Author(s)||Samuel J Steiner|
|Date Published||April 2019|
Cite This Article
Steiner, Samuel J. "Pine Grove Mennonite Church (Catlett, Virginia, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. April 2019. Web. 11 Aug 2020. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Pine_Grove_Mennonite_Church_(Catlett,_Virginia,_USA)&oldid=165291.
Steiner, Samuel J. (April 2019). Pine Grove Mennonite Church (Catlett, Virginia, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 11 August 2020, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Pine_Grove_Mennonite_Church_(Catlett,_Virginia,_USA)&oldid=165291.
©1996-2020 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.