Plainview Mennonite Church (Aurora, Ohio, USA)
Plainview Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), near Aurora, Ohio, a member of the Ohio and Eastern Mennonite Conference, was founded by Amish Mennonites from Nebraska. Several Stutzman families arrived in 1906 but their first minister was Eli B. Stoltzfus of West Liberty, Ohio, who had been ordained for Long Green, Maryland in 1908, but moved to Portage County in 1909, and was ordained bishop in 1916. The congregation enjoyed economic and religious growth. Membership increased from 35 in 1908 to 100 in 1912. In that year the congregation built the present meetinghouse. Members of the congregation helped to found the Britton Run Amish Mennonite Church in Crawford County, Pennsylvania, and still assist actively in the Burton Mennonite Church in Geauga County and in the Gladstone Mennonite Mission in Cleveland. The membership of Plainview in 1957 was 136. Development of the congregation is being hindered by inflationary land values and the encroachment of wealthy buyers of land for rural estates. The resident bishop in 1957 was Elmer Stoltzfus and the minister Eugene Yoder.
Miller, Vern L. "The History of the Plainview Mennonite Church . . ." 1950, unpublished paper in Mennonite Historical Library (Goshen, IN).
|Author(s)||John S Umble|
Cite This Article
Umble, John S. "Plainview Mennonite Church (Aurora, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 20 Sep 2019. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Plainview_Mennonite_Church_(Aurora,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=118651.
Umble, John S. (1959). Plainview Mennonite Church (Aurora, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 September 2019, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Plainview_Mennonite_Church_(Aurora,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=118651.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 184. All rights reserved.
©1996-2019 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.