Puerto Rico Reconstruction Administration
Puerto Rico Reconstruction Administration (PRRA) was established under the U.S. Congressional Emergency Relief Appropriation Act of 1935. During a five-year period, PRRA purchased more than 40,000 acres of coffee, tobacco, and sugar absentee-owned land and redistributed it as small farms among poor rural people. PRRA constructed more than 12,000 new homes, thirty-eight modern concrete second-unit schools, and sixty-four rural medical dispensaries. Extensive agricultural, recreational, and social service programs were organized in the larger resettlement projects. In 1942, when money was no longer available to finance the extensive social service and medical programs, PRRA made available government community center property at three different locations to the Brethren Service Committee, the Mennonite Central Committee (La Plata), and the Friends Service Committee, for Civilian Public Service (CPS) medical and social service programs. PRRA also became the government-sponsoring agency of the CPS program in Puerto Rico and worked in close co-operation with the Brumbaugh Reconstruction Unit, the central agency of the three church service organizations.
Holsinger, Justus. Serving Rural Puerto Rico. Scottdale, 1952: 5-18.
|Author(s)||Justus G Holsinger|
Cite This Article
Holsinger, Justus G. "Puerto Rico Reconstruction Administration." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 20 Aug 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Puerto_Rico_Reconstruction_Administration&oldid=118404.
Holsinger, Justus G. (1959). Puerto Rico Reconstruction Administration. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 August 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Puerto_Rico_Reconstruction_Administration&oldid=118404.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 231. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.