Rockway Mennonite Collegiate (Kitchener, Ontario, Canada)
Rockway Mennonite (Mennonite Church) Collegiate, 110 Doon Road, Kitchener, Ontario, is a secondary school offering the work of grades 9 to 12 inclusive, operated in the late 1950s by a board appointed by the Ontario Conference. At the time finances were supplied from tuition and by gifts of churches and friends. The school opened in September 1945 in a dwelling on a fourteen-acre farm which had been purchased for the purpose, on the outskirts of Kitchener. In the late 1950s the house was still the only dormitory available, housing about 15 per cent of the students. The school accommodations had been increased in three major steps. In the summer of 1946 a barn on the property was converted into a school with four rooms and dining facilities. In 1948 four classrooms were added to the remodeled barn, and in 1954 the first permanent building was erected, consisting of four classrooms and administration quarters. The enrollment had steadily increased to 167 for 1957-58. Harold D. Groh served as principal until 1956. In the late 1950s there were eight teachers on the staff, including the principal, Ross T. Bender, 1956-1960. The courses offered were those outlined by the Ontario Department of Education, which accredited the school and issued the diplomas to the graduates. In addition students were required to take a unit of Bible, and this was supplemented by a daily devotional period.
School website: http://www.rockway.on.ca/
|Author(s)||Harold D Groh|
Cite This Article
Groh, Harold D. "Rockway Mennonite Collegiate (Kitchener, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 8 Jul 2020. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Rockway_Mennonite_Collegiate_(Kitchener,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=167524.
Groh, Harold D. (1959). Rockway Mennonite Collegiate (Kitchener, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 8 July 2020, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Rockway_Mennonite_Collegiate_(Kitchener,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=167524.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 349. All rights reserved.
©1996-2020 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.