Tampa Mennonite Mission (Tampa, Florida, USA)
Tampa Mennonite Mission (Mennonite Church), 1407 Ida Street, Tampa, Florida, operated by the Lancaster Mennonite Conference, was the outgrowth of the missionary efforts of C. B. Byer and wife, who came to the city in 1927. It was also known as the Ida Street Mennonite Church. For a time services were held in a tent on 15th Street; and in 1929 the present church was built. Work among the Spanish - speaking people (mostly Cubans) was carried on in rented buildings until 1946, when property was bought at 1613 9th Avenue, to serve as a meeting place and as kindergarten and first and second grades of school. The Ida Street mission and work among Latins (the Ybor City Mission) were considered one congregation until 1949. The membership in 1949 was 34. In 1952 the College Hill Mission at 3506 Machado Avenue was begun among African Americans. The membership in the three missions in 1958 was: Ida Street 20, with Martin Lehman as pastor; Ybor City 20, with Isaac Frederick; and College Hill 7, with Alvin Weaver. Ybor City conducts a Christian day school, called Sharon, with John Wenger as principal.
In the mid-1960s the Ybor City Mennonite Mission and Ida Street Mennonite Church merged at the Ybor City location. The congregation moved to new location in 1972 and took the name North Tampa Christian Fellowship. It became a multi-cultural congregation, with particular outreach to second and third generation Hispanics living in the United States. The congregation became part of the Southeast Mennonite Conference in the 1970s after congregations in the southeastern United States formed their own regional conference and left their founding conferences like the Lancaster the Conference.
|Author(s)||T. H. Brenneman|
Cite This Article
Brenneman, T. H. and Sam Steiner. "Tampa Mennonite Mission (Tampa, Florida, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 21 Aug 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Tampa_Mennonite_Mission_(Tampa,_Florida,_USA)&oldid=122911.
Brenneman, T. H. and Sam Steiner. (1959). Tampa Mennonite Mission (Tampa, Florida, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 August 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Tampa_Mennonite_Mission_(Tampa,_Florida,_USA)&oldid=122911.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 682-683. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.