Akron (Pennsylvania, USA)

From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

The town of Akron is located ten miles (16 km) northeast of the city of Lancaster, in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. It was founded in 1833 by people of German descent and was first named New Berlin. In 1880 its name was changed to Akron in order to secure a Federal post office, since there already was a New Berlin within the state. The population of the town in 2004 was slightly over 4,000, of which Mennonites constituted a small minority. In 2006 there were two Mennonite congregations in Akron, with a combined membership of slightly over 500. Since 1936 Akron has been the headquarters of Mennonite Central Committee.

Maps

Map:Akron (Pennsylvania)


Author(s) J. N Byler
Kevin Enns-Rempel
Date Published April 2006


Cite This Article

MLA style

Byler, J. N and Kevin Enns-Rempel. "Akron (Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. April 2006. Web. 21 Jun 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Akron_(Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=132287.

APA style

Byler, J. N and Kevin Enns-Rempel. (April 2006). Akron (Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 June 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Akron_(Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=132287.




Hpbuttns.png

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 30. All rights reserved.


©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.