The Bair Mennonite Meetinghouse (Mennonite Church) is located three miles (six km) east of Hanover, York County, Pennsylvania. On 14 May 1775 Michael Danner, Sr., of Hanover, a York County Commissioner when the county was laid out, obtained from the Penn heirs with preachers John Shenk and Jacob Keagy, deacons John Welty and James Miller, 12 acres for a meetinghouse, schoolhouse, and burying ground. Possibly the Lutherans and Reformed had an interest in the schoolhouse. The first meetinghouse was used until 1860, and the second house until 1908, when the house used in the 1950s was erected. It was a part of the Hostetter-Hanover circuit of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference of which Richard Danner was bishop in the 1950s. The circuit membership was 122.
In the fall of 1979, the Bairs-Hostetter congregation requested a transfer from the Lancaster Conference to the Mid-Atlantic Mennonite Fellowship (MAMF). This request was granted in the spring of 1980.
For the joint history of the Bair-Hostetter-Hanover fellowship see Bairs-Hostetters Mennonite Church (Littlestown, Pennsylvania, USA).
 Additional Information
Address: 6925 York Road, Spring Grove, Pa.
|Author(s)||Ira D Landis|
 Cite This Article
Landis, Ira D. "Bair Mennonite Meetinghouse (Spring Grove, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1955. Web. 29 Aug 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bair_Mennonite_Meetinghouse_(Spring_Grove,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=116774.
Landis, Ira D. (1955). Bair Mennonite Meetinghouse (Spring Grove, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 August 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bair_Mennonite_Meetinghouse_(Spring_Grove,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=116774.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.