From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Blumengart was one of the last three villages of the Chortitza settlement, established in 1824 by 14 families. In 1918 the village complex consisted of about 2,700 acres of land with a population of 213. Of these, 44, mostly men, were exiled and evacuated by 1941 when the Germans occupied the Ukraine during World War II. The remaining population was evacuated to Germany in 1943. About two thirds of these were repatriated by the Russians and one third found new homes in Canada and South America. Its church record covers the period 1796-1901. In 1942 the village had a church building, a school with 45 pupils and two teachers, and a kindergarten.

[edit] Maps

Map:Blumengart (Chortitza Mennonite Settlement, Zaporizhia Oblast)


Author(s) Cornelius Krahn
Date Published 1953


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Krahn, Cornelius. "Blumengart (Chortitza Mennonite Settlement, Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 19 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Blumengart_(Chortitza_Mennonite_Settlement,_Zaporizhia_Oblast,_Ukraine)&oldid=75765.

APA style

Krahn, Cornelius. (1953). Blumengart (Chortitza Mennonite Settlement, Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Blumengart_(Chortitza_Mennonite_Settlement,_Zaporizhia_Oblast,_Ukraine)&oldid=75765.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 371. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.