From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

The Burns Ranch Mennonite congregation began services in 1926, and formally organized in 1929. The first building was occupied in 1935. The congregation originated through immigration from the Soviet Union.

Eleven immigrant families purchased a ranch near Didsbury from the P. Burns Company. Initially the land was farmed cooperatively and later subdivided into individual farms. Pastoral support came primarily from the Bergthal congregation in Didsbury and many special events such as baptisms were held together with Bergthal. The membership gradually dwindled as some of the original settlers sold out and eventually the church closed in 1951 with the remaining members joining the Didsbury Bergthal church.

The church building was Located 11 miles east of Didsbury. It had been affiliated with the Conference of Mennonites in Canada from 1937 to 1951.

[edit] Bibliography

Dick, C.L. The Mennonite Conference of Alberta: A History of its Churches and Institutions. Edmonton: The Mennonite Conference of Alberta, 1981, 147 pp.


Author(s) Marlene Epp
Date Published February 1989


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Epp, Marlene. "Burns Ranch Mennonite Church (Didsbury, Alberta, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 1989. Web. 28 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Burns_Ranch_Mennonite_Church_(Didsbury,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=86393.

APA style

Epp, Marlene. (February 1989). Burns Ranch Mennonite Church (Didsbury, Alberta, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Burns_Ranch_Mennonite_Church_(Didsbury,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=86393.




©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.