The Carson Mennonite Brethren Church in Cottonwood County, Minnesota, was organized by six families on 11 June 1877, under the leadership of Heinrich Voth. In 1879 the church joined the Conference of the Mennonite Brethren Church of North America. The first meetinghouse was constructed in 1885 near a scenic creek about three miles (five km) north of Bingham Lake. Because members living in and south of Mountain Lake could not attend regularly, another meetinghouse was built about five miles (eight km) south of Mountain Lake. Elder Voth served as pastor of both churches until 1918, when he moved to Canada. In 1893 the church at Bingham Lake, now known as the Carson Church, erected a new building.
A. J. Wiebe, who was elected in 1899 and later ordained as a minister, served as pastor of the church from 1918 to 1941. He was succeeded by B. J. Braun, who served until 1945, when Wm. Neufeld became his successor. Others who assisted in the ministry were Johann Wiens, Peter H. Ewert, H. S. Voth, Henry E. Wiens, David Hooge, John H. Wiens, and J. D. Wiens. The work of foreign missions has been stressed throughout the history of the church. In 1896 Henry and Maria Ensz left for Africa. John H. and Maria Voth sailed for India in 1908. In 1927 John A. and Viola Wiebe proceeded to India. Edna Gerdes also went to India in 1946. Other workers labored among the Indian tribes of North America.
In 1949 the church moved to a new location in Delft, where a building measuring 84 x 32 ft., with a seating capacity of 350, was dedicated on 13 March. In 1953 the membership of the church was 164.
The church closed on 27 November 2005. In 2006, one third of the proceeds of the closing of the church were given to Tabor College, which used it toward the creation of the Carson Center for Mission, Service and Global Education.
Overstake, Grant. "Church Closes; Vision Lives On." Mennonite Weekly Review (March 23, 2009): 1-2.
|Author(s)||John A Wiebe|
|Date Published||March 2009|
 Cite This Article
Wiebe, John A. "Carson Mennonite Brethren Church (Delft, Minnesota, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 2009. Web. 3 Sep 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Carson_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Delft,_Minnesota,_USA)&oldid=115420.
Wiebe, John A. (March 2009). Carson Mennonite Brethren Church (Delft, Minnesota, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 3 September 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Carson_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Delft,_Minnesota,_USA)&oldid=115420.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.