From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

The Clear Spring Camp, Unit 4 of Civilian Public Service Camp No. 24, often known as the Hagerstown Camp, was located about five miles (eight km) north of Clear Spring on a farm owned by the Mennonite Publishing House, Scottdale, Pennsylvania. Although there were five units in the camp, each was operated independently of the others. Unit 4 was under the direction of the Mennonite Church (MC) and the Soil Conservation Service. It was opened in the spring of 1942. Two schools were held here for the campers, a farm and community school early in 1944 and a Christian workers' school beginning in November 1944.

[edit] Bibliography

Gingerich, Melvin. Service for Peace: a History of Mennonite Civilian Public Service. Akron, Pa.: Mennonite Central Committee, 1949.


Author(s) Melvin Gingerich
Date Published 1953


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Gingerich, Melvin. "Civilian Public Service Camp (Clear Spring, Maryland, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 27 Jun 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Civilian_Public_Service_Camp_(Clear_Spring,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=79624.

APA style

Gingerich, Melvin. (1953). Civilian Public Service Camp (Clear Spring, Maryland, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 June 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Civilian_Public_Service_Camp_(Clear_Spring,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=79624.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 620. All rights reserved.


©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.